• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC Not Playing Over USB

Shiva

Anyone here know anything about DAC's?:) Specifically syncing issues.
I have had the SMSL SU-8-v2 for sometime now. I have two devices that I plug into its USB port, my iPhone and Squeezebox Touch. Each device uses a different USB cable. The DAC unlocks and shows the bit rate in its little window, but no joy for music. The Coax and Optical inputs work fine. I've made numerous attempts and unplugging and plugging back everything, to no avail. So, looking for a little knowledge.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone here know anything about DAC's?:) Specifically syncing issues.
I have had the SMSL SU-8-v2 for sometime now. I have two devices that I plug into its USB port, my iPhone and Squeezebox Touch. Each device uses a different USB cable. The DAC unlocks and shows the bit rate in its little window, but no joy for music. The Coax and Optical inputs work fine. I've made numerous attempts and unplugging and plugging back everything, to no avail. So, looking for a little knowledge.
What cable are you using (plus any adapters) from iPhone to dac? (I know nothing about the squeezebox)

My guess is that the squeezebox isnt capable of digital out via USB and you're not using the right kind of adapter on the iPhone to get digital signal out to usb.

zermak

The USB port on the Squeezebox Touch is only used as a "input" port for storage (USB hard drives and so on) to read music from but the good-ish news is that, from the wikipedia site, it "supports asynchronous USB digital audio output, enabled by use of a free third-party plug-in". Now I can't help you more than this cause I don't have the item but you should look for the Enhanced Digital Output applet into the third party reccomanded apps and after installed it and rebboted the Squeezebox set-it up appropriately with the DAC connected already and hopefully recognized.

About the iPhone issue. Probably wrong cable but I am not a Apple guy so can't tell you which USB cable you should get.

OP
S

Shiva

For over a year now, I've been using the same 6 foot cable. Lightning connector on one end and the USB connector for the DAC's input on the other. Its been working fine up until a few days ago.
As far as the Touch is concerned, there is an app install that turns the USB input only to an output for up to 192k playback. That has been around for 15 years or more. I'm wondering if switching back and forth between the 2 devices caused problems for the DAC. Or maybe, the latest IOS security update, might be preventing syncing? don't know.

Last edited:

zermak

I am reading the specs for your DAC and it says its power consumption is 3W which is probably over the max current the USB of the squeezebox can output (usually it's 500mA for USB1/2 but I don't have any info on the squeeze box capabilities) and perhaps you could try with some USB cable that powers the DAC separately.

Top Bottom