• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC not connecting with streamer

TooJuicy

Hey everyone,

I have a Bel Canto DAC2 (as in 2.0) which has partnered my CDP for many years and is still going strong in that line of duty. It is also connected to and works with my Chromecast Audio.

I recently acquired a new streamer, a Yamaha WXC-50. The WXC-50 has been used with its analogue outputs successfully, in both Player and in PreAmp mode.

Today, just for funs, I reconnected the Coax cable into the Bel Canto DAC2 to the digital out of the WXC-50, in its Player setting.

A total failure. The Bel Canto DAC couldn't get a S/PDIF connection - the DAC's Status LED flashed between red and green continuously ( producing no audible output).

Did I do something wrong?

The music was streamed from Quboz which said it was a 96kHz source. The Bel Canto is meant to accept 24/96 input.

Any ideas, or write off the idea of using the BC with the WXC-50?

I do not have another DAC which I could try.

Thanks
Tony

aguyinnyc

Page two of the Bel Canto DAC2 manual states:

"The Bel Canto Design DAC2 is a 2- channel digital to analog converter that up-samples 16/44.1 signal to 24/192 and applies a 96kHz slow roll off filter."

I don't think it really accepts 24/96khz input. When it was made there would have been very very few sources that offered this (maybe a few professional DAT decks?).

Just wanted to comment for any future DAC2 owners. I do have 16bit/44.1khz audio from Tidal HiFi successfully going through a Bel Canto DAC2 from a WiiM Mini via Toslink.

Top Bottom