• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac MQA

nerone

Hello everyone, since I often use Tidal Hifi I would like to buy an MQA dac, for the moment I use the Topping E30 with Chromecast audio, sometimes smartphone with Usb Audio Player Pro as I prefer to sit comfortably on the listening chair about 5 meters away from the speakers.
Do you have some advice?
Maybe the E50?

steve59

Major Contributor
I just bought the project pro box s2 digital. It does full mqa and high rez dsd, offers several filters and a remote control to control volume. Not cheap but not expensive either.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Go with the Topping E50. I had a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital and I had to return it because it had issues with drops outs when playing MQA songs. This is a well known issue with the Pre Box S2 that never got fixed after the developer/designer, John Westlake, left Pro-Ject. Basically the Pre Box S2 hasn't received a firmware update since Jan 2019.

steve59

Major Contributor
Go with the Topping E50. I had a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital and I had to return it because it had issues with drops outs when playing MQA songs. This is a well known issue with the Pre Box S2 that never got fixed after the developer/designer, John Westlake, left Pro-Ject. Basically the Pre Box S2 hasn't received a firmware update since Jan 2019.
I had issues with tidal dropouts until I got a dedicated server. Only 4 hours in but no dropouts with with this unit. My pre only has 1 analog input left and it's the HT passthru so the remote and volume control is also nice.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I had issues with tidal dropouts until I got a dedicated server. Only 4 hours in but no dropouts with with this unit. My pre only has 1 analog input left and it's the HT passthru so the remote and volume control is also nice.

I have a dedicated NUC 10i7FNHN running Roon ROCK and had drop outs with most MQA song via TIDAL. Sometimes it gets fixed but after a few days those drop outs come back. After 2 weeks of owning it, I asked my dealer to get it back and got a Bluesound NODE instead. The NODE has been rock solid since day one. I'm adding a Topping E50 feed with the NODE coax out.

steve59

Major Contributor
The Roon nucleus replaced my pc/tidal as a dedicated server. I still have struggles with streaming tidal, just never during playback.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The Roon nucleus replaced my pc/tidal as a dedicated server. I still have struggles with streaming tidal, just never during playback.

I have zero issues with TIDAL or Qobuz via Roon. I have my 6 Roon Ready end points hardwired, though. Roon is not reliable via WiFi.

Top Bottom