• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac magic plus or Dx3 pro

michman66

Hello, I sold a V90 2 weeks ago. I've been carrying on a conversation with a few members on dacs, pre amps etc. I think I got it down to buying a DAC preamp and selling my SAGA pre amp. I'd like opinions and comments to help me decide between a Cambridge DAC MAGIC plus or the Topping DE pro?

2nd idea is getting the D50 and still sell the Saga until I can replace it. Reason is it's a unity Gain device...and is not able to drive my Linn amp to full rated power. I can use a passive pre in in the mean time while I decide on what to do 3rd option is selling the Linn too...then I get an intergrated amp and forget either the Cambridge or Dx3 and buy d50.

Through the woods I go. Thank you!

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Have you tested the CA DAC Magic + into your setup ? I am saying so 'cause CA' devices are a bit difficult to integrate in terms of matching them properly.

The M-DAC from Audiolab would be a great option for a budget of $/€350/400 secondhand, IMHO.

(I'm mentioning Audiolab seeing you sold a Musical Fidelity and now looking for a CA unit so it seems you're focused on the British' brands ...)

OP
michman66

michman66

Hi, I am not married to British brands so to speak. I checked the Audiolab looks like a great product. One thing is the USB is max to 96khz, moving forward that is going to restrict high resolution files to 192. It is a very good suggestion though! There is a dealer here in town. I will borrow one and try it out first. I'd be running it into a Linn LK 140 amp. pre-amp/DAC or I will buy the Topping DX3 Pro which has a remote and Bluetooth.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing is the USB is max to 96khz, moving forward that is going to restrict high resolution files to 192. It is a very good suggestion though!

I know nothing about the Audiolab, but as a general comment, there is absolutely no reason to play back at a sample rate higher than 96KHz (or even 44.1 or 48, arguably) - humans just don't hear that high. So don't let that factor affect your decision.

OP
michman66

michman66

I know nothing about the Audiolab, but as a general comment, there is absolutely no reason to play back at a sample rate higher than 96KHz (or even 44.1 or 48, arguably) - humans just don't hear that high. So don't let that factor affect your decision.
Thank you, I'm dizzy from reading so much...upsampling for one. I see a used one..still pretty expensive. I'll keep looking. thank you very much

OP
michman66

michman66

BTW @michman66, why did you get rid of your V90? It's in the same league as all the options you're now looking at.
I wanted to try something else. It's a strong piece no doubt. Eh,. Buy, sell. I saw on the site how much better the D50 was looking...I thought I would try it.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted to try something else. It's a strong piece no doubt. Eh,. Buy, sell. I saw on the site how much better the D50 was looking...I thought I would try it.

Fair enough. My view is that there shouldn't be much if any audible difference between any of the units being discussed - all are probably "good enough" for human hearing - so don't expect any crazy improvements whichever way you go :)

tired_guru

Most of the times "it sounds better" not because this is hi-rez file but because of completely different mastering/mixing, added 2nd harmonic distortion to make sound more robust, warm, smooth, "audiophile" grade. For me if the DAC can't play 44.1k good it is worth nothing and I don't care about dsd or hi-rez beacuse this is minority.

onslash

Have you tested the CA DAC Magic + into your setup ? I am saying so 'cause CA' devices are a bit difficult to integrate in terms of matching them properly.

The M-DAC from Audiolab would be a great option for a budget of $/€350/400 secondhand, IMHO.

(I'm mentioning Audiolab seeing you sold a Musical Fidelity and now looking for a CA unit so it seems you're focused on the British' brands ...)
just wondering , whats difficult to integrate and matching them properly?

Top Bottom