• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC isolation from PC hardware and correct volume settings??

OP
JanesJr1

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Grooved, the most convincing argument in your favor is my appreciation of your much greater experience and your network of like-minded a-philes.... because I only half-understand your example above and am still wearing noob-armor when confronted with technical facts. So you get the benefit of the doubt so long as no lightning-strike revelation proves otherwise. I mean it, because in every debate, the harder I argue, the harder I am trying to lose, because losing is the only way to learn something new.

I will only point out one thing in your example that seems to be a case of each of us seeing the same fact as two, completely different things.

In your first example above, you show "device capability" at 24/192. And correct me if I'm wrong, you also seem to be saying that that fact shows that the DAC is actually running at 24/192 when playing a 48kHz track (via upsampling). However, I look at that same little table and see probable evidence that the DAC is NOT running at 24/192. I see the 24/192 as the MAXIMUM resolution that the DAC will process at native Track Quality, not as the ONLY rate it will run at .. because the table SAYS it's processing at 48. I don't see it as necessarily saying that ALL tracks will be upsampled to 192 if they're not all at that level, just that 192 kHz tracks will be processed at that native value.

But in the end, my point is not that you're necessarily wrong. At face value, I see the matched values of 24/48 for both Track Quality and Currently-Playing as Amazon's representation that the DAC is processing at the native rate of 48 while the Windows device properties limit it to 192 as a ceiling; BUT if that is NOT true, then Amazon must be somewhere on the far side of disingenuous. Interestingly, at the Amazon HD forum, I received a posting from another, jaded user who says, "I doubt you'll ever get a straight answer from Amazon or any of the moderators." I must admit that the conspiratorial tone there makes me want to believe the opposite. (When everything is a conspiracy, there are no facts left.)

(I already avoid Facebook and Google. There aren't many more places to hide.)

Anyway, that user also suggests I see if I can get my router to tell me the actual bit rate. Well, I don't think I've got that many Sundays left in my month to figure that out, so it'll probably go undone.

Final, dumb question: what exactly does the common phrase "bit-perfect" mean? Bit-perfect as opposed to what, in what context?

Grooved

I've one question : do you have any DAC with a information panel ? It will simply show the operating sample rate (except for MQA which can be a bit tricky as there are the based sample rate and the one once processed).
If a 24/48 file from Amazon was played at 24/48, even with the DAC set at 24/192 in Windows audio setting, the DAC would show 24/48, not 24/192. And it would show 24/88.2 for example for a 24/88.2 track... It's not what is done with Amazon.
If Amazon app was acting like you said, it would be the same with other app like Tidal or Qobuz, or player like Roon, UAPP... Amazon app can't send each file at its native sample rate and bit depth, make the DAC playing it at this native sample rate and bit depth, and tell the DAC to show its Windows setting values.
I actually think its Windows audio system that is doing the change of sampling rate and not the Amazon app, will need to check it but it looks like that.

The two matching values of "track quality" and "currently playing" are only confirming that the source is the highest quality version of this track on the Amazon server.
"track quality" should be "highest track quality on Amazon" and "currently playing at" means "version currently used", but regarding the source file only, not what the DAC is receiving/playing.

To keep it simple, the Bit perfect reference means it send and play perfectly the source file

OP
JanesJr1

JanesJr1

I've one question : do you have any DAC with a information panel ? It will simply show the operating sample rate (except for MQA which can be a bit tricky as there are the based sample rate and the one once processed).
If a 24/48 file from Amazon was played at 24/48, even with the DAC set at 24/192 in Windows audio setting, the DAC would show 24/48, not 24/192. And it would show 24/88.2 for example for a 24/88.2 track... It's not what is done with Amazon.
If Amazon app was acting like you said, it would be the same with other app like Tidal or Qobuz, or player like Roon, UAPP... Amazon app can't send each file at its native sample rate and bit depth, make the DAC playing it at this native sample rate and bit depth, and tell the DAC to show its Windows setting values.
I actually think its Windows audio system that is doing the change of sampling rate and not the Amazon app, will need to check it but it looks like that.

The two matching values of "track quality" and "currently playing" are only confirming that the source is the highest quality version of this track on the Amazon server.
"track quality" should be "highest track quality on Amazon" and "currently playing at" means "version currently used", but regarding the source file only, not what the DAC is receiving/playing.

To keep it simple, the Bit perfect reference means it send and play perfectly the source file

No DAC screen here on my JDS Atom; that's been my problem all along, and the DAC software only shows that sample rate.

You're off the hook, we've whipped the horse to death. I'll assume you're right and will send you anything that pops up that adds anything. I'd be curious whether there's any real, audible difference with an upsampled track.

Thank you again!

Grooved

No DAC screen here on my JDS Atom; that's been my problem all along, and the DAC software only shows that sample rate.

You're off the hook, we've whipped the horse to death. I'll assume you're right and will send you anything that pops up that adds anything. I'd be curious whether there's any real, audible difference with an upsampled track.

Thank you again!

It's not a major thing, no, but upsampling can increase a little bit the level and generate small clipping without a bit of headroom added.

Top Bottom