• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC in Preamp mode into Integrated Amp

GarryX

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum but have benefited a lot from various reviews and discussions.

I own a Gryphon Diablo 300. After seeing very positive reviews on the D90se, I decided to buy one and use to stream music from my MacBook Pro which is where I store all my music.

I accidentally used the Preamp mode and 5v output and fed it into a balanced input port on my 300 (rather than setting up a dedicated power amp input). Would this damage the preamp section of my 300? I believe volume on the D90se was set pretty high.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

GX

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum but have benefited a lot from various reviews and discussions.

I own a Gryphon Diablo 300. After seeing very positive reviews on the D90se, I decided to buy one and use to stream music from my MacBook Pro which is where I store all my music.

I accidentally used the Preamp mode and 5v output and fed it into a balanced input port on my 300 (rather than setting up a dedicated power amp input). Would this damage the preamp section of my 300? I believe volume on the D90se was set pretty high.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

GX
Well, I believe the standard dac mode is 4 volt. But this can be adjusted to 5 volt, which is probably the same for preamp mode.
Does the Gryphon allow you to adjust the input sensitivity on your balanced inputs? Using the Gryphon, there is no need to run the dac in pre mode. Run it (the dac) in fixed dac mode.
I would think you will be ok, but it wouldn't hurt to shoot them a simple email to get clarification.

OP
G

GarryX

Well, I believe the standard dac mode is 4 volt. But this can be adjusted to 5 volt, which is probably the same for preamp mode.
Does the Gryphon allow you to adjust the input sensitivity on your balanced inputs? Using the Gryphon, there is no need to run the dac in pre mode. Run it (the dac) in fixed dac mode.
I would think you will be ok, but it wouldn't hurt to shoot them a simple email to get clarification.
Thanks. Running it under the preamp mode was an oversight. I never intended to.

No I can’t adjust the input sensitivity level.

Im in hk so it costs USD40 to arrange pick up and deliver to send it to the dealer for examination. I thought it’s a no brainer. Will report back.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What happened when you played music with the 5v input on? Was the music at full volume on the player side?

I would have thought the worst thing that would happen is the amp clipping. If its working fine why send for inspection?

OP
G

GarryX

I heard some noise out of the speakers. I’m just being cautious. It’s 40USD to send it for an inspection. I’m about to relocate to Australia where a taxi trip down the road to get a coffee would cost more and I’ll lose my warranty.

Top Bottom