• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC impedance and voltage rating

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm looking for a small dongle DAC with 2V output to feed my portable amp (Topping NX7).

Because most manufacturers don't state voltage ratings for their dongle DAC I'm not sure which spec I have to pay attention to.
Should I just use the power at the highest given impedance and calculate the voltage?

Example:
According to specs, the Fiio KA1 has a voltage of 1.2V at 32 Ohms and 6.8mW at 600 Ohms which would translate to 2V.
There should be no volume difference between the fiio feeding my amp and a normal desktop amp with 2V feeding my amp, right?

My main problem is that I want something smaller than my BTR5 (which only has 1.84V with no load)
but my Apple dongle (EU version), which has the perfect size, only has about half a volt.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The max output voltage of a dongle (assuming SE and no DCDC converters inside) is determined/limited by the internal power supply voltage.
Assuming it works on 5V a max. 4.8Vpp (requires so called Rail-to-Rail output op-amps) voltage can be reached = 1.7Vrms.
Most of them are lower in output voltage though.
One can double this into balanced headphones (3.4V)

OP
juliangst

juliangst

The max output voltage of a dongle (assuming SE and no DCDC converters inside) is determined/limited by the internal power supply voltage.
Assuming it works on 5V a max. 4.8Vpp (requires so called Rail-to-Rail output op-amps) voltage can be reached = 1.7Vrms.
Most of them are lower in output voltage though.
One can double this into balanced headphones (3.4V)
But I've seen a lot of dongles that claim 2V and 4V (balanced) and the Hidizs S9 Pro even has 2.1V according to Amir's measurements. Am I getting something wrong about the voltage rating?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
2.1V = 5.94Vpp and even with rail-to-rail output op-amps a 6V power supply voltage would be required while USB output voltage is only 5V (maybe 5.2V in some USB ports).
This is what limits the output voltage.
Some dongle type DAC/amps could have DC/DC converters or charge pumps which could allow for a higher output voltage for high impedance headphones/line-outs.
Most of them will not have this and will be limited in output voltage.

OP
juliangst

juliangst

2.1V = 5.94Vpp and even with rail-to-rail output op-amps a 6V power supply voltage would be required and only 5V (maybe 5.2V in some USB ports) is available.
This is what limits the output voltage.
Some dongle type DAC/amps could have DC/DC converters or charge pumps which could allow for a higher output voltage for high impedance headphones/line-outs.
Most of them will not have this and will be limited in output voltage.
So should I just stick to my battery powered BTR5?
A small dongle would be nice but if that means that I'm getting way less voltage and thus less volume it's not worth it to me.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
2.1V vs 1.6V (BTR5) is merely 2.3dB difference in output level.

When you want to go audible louder (+6dB) you would need to go balanced. Not all headphones can be used with balanced amps though.

An option may be the FiiO KA3 = 4V in SE out (has internal DCDC converter).

OP
juliangst

juliangst

2.1V vs 1.6V (BTR5) is merely 2.3dB difference in output level.

When you want to go audible louder (+6dB) you would need to go balanced. Not all headphones can be used with balanced amps though.

An option may be the FiiO KA3 = 4V in SE out (has internal DCDC converter).
Thanks. I have a balanced cable for my headphones but similar to my desktop A30 Pro, the Topping NX7 only has 4.4mm for convenience and it's not a differential output

Top Bottom