• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac/HP Amp Combo that mutes Headphones

panther

Hi All,
I am looking for a DAC/HP amp combo that can also have XLR out to active speakers. I would really like it to cut the HP signal when I switch to XLR output when using the speakers. I thought the Schiit Jotunheim 2 did this but that is not the case (the HP still have sound). I had this functionality on the JDS Labs Element II(no XLR sadly) and it was great. I know I could just unplug my headphones but it is nice to just leave everything plugged in.
For the life of me I can't seem to find something that does this when I do some searching. Anyone have a product recommendation?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had to read your request twice.
How would the device know you're using speakers ?

When you're connecting your headphones with a 1/4" jack plug, a switch opens when the jack is inserted.
There is no such thing with XLR.

So, I guess, what you want is to switch outputs from the remote or face panel ?
On the RME ADI-2 pro, you may mute and control independently output 3/4 (headphones) and 1/2 (main out or second headphones), since it has 2 stereo DACs.

That may be overkill, though.

OP
P

panther

I had to read your request twice.
How would the device know you're using speakers ?

When you're connecting your headphones with a 1/4" jack plug, a switch opens when the jack is inserted.
There is no such thing with XLR.

So, I guess, what you want is to switch outputs from the remote or face panel ?
On the RME ADI-2 pro, you may mute and control independently output 3/4 (headphones) and 1/2 (main out or second headphones).

That may be overkill, though.
I guess it wouldn't know. I was used to the JDS Element muting the RCA out to my old speakers or muting my headphone output depending on which I was using when I pressed the toggle switch on the back. I guess I was hoping for the same functionality with XLR on a different product whether it's directly on the unit or a remote. I thought the Jotunheim 2 did this but it doesn't mute the headphones apparently.

gvl

Major Contributor
Topping DX7 Pro, you can select the output using remote, likely other topping DACs are similar . Sabaj D5 as well.

Top Bottom