• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac help

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow. No such thing as soundstage. I’ve got to wrap my head around this for a bit. So, essentially all the dacs on the rating list sound exactly the same(if they are close together like the ones on the left where the Topping d90 is)?
Very likely so. Audibly transparent DACs are extremely hard to tell apart when properly level-matched. Every wonder whey vendors don’t brag about blind test results? If they had ‘em, they certainly would.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it hard to believe no one has done extensive double blind tests between dacs. Or have they? It would certainly put an end to the controversy.
It would not. A blind test only tests the people that did the test. The results aren’t transferable. The next person will just claim: “ But I can!”, and thus the cycle starts over. Then there are those that simply reject the results downright. You’ll never satisfy those.

OP
E

Earthbound

It would not. A blind test only tests the people that did the test. The results aren’t transferable. The next person will just claim: “ But I can!”, and thus the cycle starts over. Then there are those that simply reject the results downright. You’ll never satisfy those.
What I found was the person who conducted the blind test, tested those on the website in some instances. Obvious bias based on which particular site. My very unscientific conclusion, the more accurate, the more they will sound the same. I think some dacs can sound better or worse, but that’s the result of what’s being changed, “coloration” so to speak. Which isn’t necessarily bad if that’s what you like. It’s all changed anyway. Engineers put their spin on the bands sound which sounds different from what they’re playing. Some sound different based on hall acoustics and instrument distortion etc…In the end, Im going with what my brain and ears like and not worry about colored or accuracy. I have both now, so I may just keep what I have.

Last edited:
OP
E

Earthbound

The dac that’s really intriguing is the Mola Mola. It’s obviously highly regarded here with its accuracy. It’s also highly regarded on other forums which are more focused on sound. The overlap may bring the 2 worlds together!!
Curious then what makes the Mola Mola so expensive if the same accuracy can be achieved for under $700. Is it accurate and have other sound attributes? But, that’s seems like it’s not possible. Too bad I will never know at $12k

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious then what makes the Mola Mola so expensive if the same accuracy can be achieved for under $700

OP
E

Earthbound

I replied over there by mistake. Thank you for the link and look forward to reading the studies at the bottom. Sound very interesting.

Willem

Major Contributor
Above an easy to attain level all properly designed DACs are sonically perfect, and it does not really get any better than perfect. So what does an RME ADI-2 DAC buy you over and above a cheaper Topping? Build quality, support and features. Build quality is superb, and so is the support, including software updates (e.g. look at their YouTube videos and their forum, but they also respond properly if you write to them). Features include traditional ones such as tone and balance controls, dynamic loudness, auto reference level, and a range of filters.

Trell

Major Contributor
Above an easy to attain level all properly designed DACs are sonically perfect, and it does not really get any better than perfect. So what does an RME ADI-2 DAC buy you over and above a cheaper Topping? Build quality, support and features. Build quality is superb, and so is the support, including software updates (e.g. look at their YouTube videos and their forum, but they also respond properly if you write to them). Features include traditional ones such as tone and balance controls, dynamic loudness, auto reference level, and a range of filters.

RME Fireface 800 released in 2004 is still supported with drivers, including for Windows 11. Same for MacOS.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Curious then what makes the Mola Mola so expensive if the same accuracy can be achieved for under $700. Is it accurate and have other sound attributes?

It's an "esoteric" product. It doesn't really matter what it does, as long as you feel like you own something special.

Trell

Major Contributor
It's an "esoteric" product. It doesn't really matter what it does, as long as you feel like you own something special.

The sociologist Karl Marx got that sentiment right in 1847:

>>>A house may be large or small; as long as the neighboring houses are likewise small, it satisfies all social requirement for a residence. But let there arise next to the little house a palace, and the little house shrinks to a hut. The little house now makes it clear that its inmate has no social position at all to maintain, or but a very insignificant one; and however high it may shoot up in the course of civilization, if the neighboring palace rises in equal or even in greater measure, the occupant of the relatively little house will always find himself more uncomfortable, more dissatisfied, more cramped within his four walls.<<<

cesjr02

This is a great topic that I don’t think gets discussed enough. I’m too in the market for a new DAC. I was heavily leaning toward the Gustard R26 (which has rave reviews on YouTube, and I like the networking capabilities) only to discover on ASR and l7audiolab it doesn’t measure well relative to many cheaper DACs on the market.

I come from the guitar world that has many parallels to the Hi-Fi community: Tube vs. solid state, this pedal or amp has “mojo” or the “secret sauce” due to some new-old-stock component that’s no longer manufactured, etc.

Most of us don’t have the luxury to A/B several DACs so we heavily rely on online reviews and forums such as ASR to help make our purchasing decisions. It seems the best we can do is choose a relatively good measuring DAC, with the features we want, within our price point. And don’t look back because there will always be something newer and better.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I come from the guitar world that has many parallels to the Hi-Fi community: Tube vs. solid state, this pedal or amp has “mojo” or the “secret sauce” due to some new-old-stock component that’s no longer manufactured, etc.

If you haven't seen them already, you'll love this guy's 'tested' series:

OP
E

Earthbound

I would suggest getting an accurate dac, like the Topping, after you make your decision. Then a/b them and see if the more expensive is worth it. I have 2 and they sound very different. If accuracy of the playback of a recording is your goal, you just may save you some bucks.

Top Bottom