• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC + headphone amplifier recommendation please

Hello everyone,

I've been following this forum for a while on an ad-hoc basis and finally decided to make an account. I need some help with my audio kit.

I've bought the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphones and currently running them off the Creative E5 dac/amp on "high gain" mode. The bass on occasion sounds a bit "wooly" and I have to set volume upto about 72-75. On some tracks it goes a little "muddy" so thinking that might be distortion.

Previously I was using Sennheiser HD 598 and HD25's on low gain.

I generally listen to music 60% of the time and do some casual PC gaming (currently playing CoD Warzone). I've read the measurements and reviews on this website and shortlisted to the topping products.

Could you please recommend if I should get the Topping DX3 Pro which is around £170 from amazon, or get the Topping A50s & D50s combo which comes to around £410. Does the increase in price correspond to a signifiant increase in audio quality? Or is it more like a very small difference?

Also, I have Qacoustics 3050 floorstanding speakers with Yamaha R-N602 amp so hoping to use hookup the new DAC to it.

Thanks!

OP
C
Hello again, any input would be much appreciated.
£450.00 is my max budget and hopefully it is a significant upgrade from the Creative E5 which I'm currently using.

Thanks in advance!

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you! I'll order it on Amazon. Is there a way to have Bluetooth functionality added to it?
If you want Bluetooth as well then you're original suggestion of DX3 Pro is a good option.

Otherwise you'd need to go with something like the A50s+D50s stack. You can, of course, go for L30+D50s.

OP
C
Thanks, in terms of upgrade they are all significant upgrades from the Creative E5 right?

Arranging the options in terms of cost:

1) D50s + A50s - £410.00
2) D50s + L30 - £350.00
3) E30 + L30 (no bluetooth) - £230.00
4) DX3 Pro £170.00

Only reason for wanting bluetooth is so I can stream to my floorstanding set up with the yamaha R-N602 receiver although it already has musiccast functionality. I thought the topping DAC might do a better job instead of relying on the receiver but I might be wrong (I could live without this feature. secretly I want to upgrade to the AS2100 series....)

If you guys had to pick one out of the 4 options taking into account the cost and overall sound quality which one would it be? I'll make the order straight away after dinner. Thanks again gents!

Sukie

Forum Donor
If you guys had to pick one out of the 4 options taking into account the cost and overall sound quality which one would it be? I'll make the order straight away after dinner. Thanks again gents!
If you can live without Bluetooth then I'd go for the E30+L30. You'll get a better DAC and Amp with this than the DX3 Pro.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

I've been following this forum for a while on an ad-hoc basis and finally decided to make an account. I need some help with my audio kit.
Sorry, forgot to say welcome to ASR. How remiss of me.

Enjoy your purchases, enjoy your music and enjoy your gaming.

Top Bottom