• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC/Headphone amp recommendations?

Taketheflame

Hey all,

Newbie here who was directed here via another audio forum...I realize this is a more technically inclined forum (and the vast amount of gear reviews are amazing, but a bit overwhelming to dig through all of), but I'm hoping to get a bit of advice/help with tweaking my DAC/digital setup in my audio system. Please bear with me, as there will be some subjective terms in what I'm looking for/hoping to get out of my system.

I currently use a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus for both desktop headphone use, and running it through a receiver via the Cambridge's analog outputs. From what I've read, it's a decent performer for the price bracket, but I'm not completely in love with it. I'm thinking of selling it and trying something new for the following reasons.

1. It doesn't offer full MQA unfolding. This isn't a hard requirement for me if the final "unfold" in the MQA decoding process doesn't add much to the sound quality, but if it does, it would be a good feature for me, as I do some listening to MQA tracks.

2. The overall sound character is mostly pretty good to my ears, but still seems a bit "dry" to me. I was thinking of trying something with tubes in the signal path to "warm up" the sound (i.e - adding the type of distortion/flaws that some find pleasing - even if it's less accurate audio reproduction).

I was looking at the Pro-Ject Pre-Box S2 as a possible MQA-friendly option (and trying an external headphone tube-preamp with it), but was also intrigued by the Schiit Tyr 3 (But I've heard their stuff can run hot/be unreliable from a few sources)...but I'm also open to other options...unless I should just stick with what I have?

Basically, I'm open to either using an all-in one solution (DAC/headphone preamp in one box) or 2 separate units (standalone DAC, with a separate headphone preamp) - I just need the following features..

- Relatively compact (for use on a desktop)
- A volume knob/buttons (or adjustable via remote)
- Analog/RCA outs for use with receivers/integrated amps
- MQA support is a plus
- Ideally $500 or less for everything (but I'd be willing to push it a bit for something like the Tyr 3 with a DAC add-on [or a solid DAC/headphone-amp combo from other brands) if it's worth the extra $).

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd look at SMSL M500. Only con is that it has a thermal issue where performance drops due to high temperatures. Other than that, it ticks all your boxes and a $100 USD less than your budget as well

OP
T

Taketheflame

/\ Can you elaborate on the thermal issue? Is it common? And is it more likely to happen when using higher res files? (I've heard of some DACs having issues with very high spec files like 32/384, but I won't be using anything higher than 24/192 or MQA).

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please browse this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ly-“thermal-issue”-not-“golden-sample”.10267/

I think if you're leaving the M500 out and not tucked in a bookshelf or any closed in shelf, and your room is not reaching 27 degrees C or higher, you should not run into that. BTW, MQA files can vary from 44.1 KHz to 352.8/384 KHz (max unfolding). Then again, all your samples are probably oversampled to 384 KHz or even 768KHz interally in the DAC anyways.

OP
T

Taketheflame

Well, it doesn't sound like it should be an issue for me...but I do have some more questions regarding MQA vs non-MQA DACS.

The reason I was thinking of switching to an MQA DAC in the first place was because I've been using Tidal. But some more reading suggests that Qobuz offers some straight Hi-Res streaming options (i.e - no MQA decoding required), and that now Amazon Music is starting to offer such with "Ultra HD" tracks as well. It has me thinking of trying those services out and possibly switching.

If I were to switch and decide MQA support is unnecessary, should I even bother switching DACs? Or are there newer DACs around $400ish that will noticeably outperform the Cambridge? If I want some tube flavor, should I just get an inexpensive tube headphone amp/preamp to use with whatever DAC?

OP
T

Taketheflame

Ok, I'm back/BUMPing this thread :)

So I'm giving Qobuz a shot. I have a feeling I'm going to stick with their service instead. I've also inquired elsewhere on this board about the whole MQA vs true HI-Res matter, and I'm becoming convinced that MQA is mainly something being hyped by industry folks, as opposed to being something worth going out of my way to use/support. So - if I were to switch to a DAC that can support it, great. But it's no longer a desire/requirement.

Here's the more important question I have now. Would I notice any improvement in audio quality by switching to a newer DAC than the DacMagic Plus? Whether the SMSL 500, Pro-Ject S-Box, or other newer options in the <$500 price tier? (What about Schiit? I seem to be reading mixed stuff about them on here). Or would I just be best leaving the DAC alone, and maybe trying something out like a small tube headphone amp/pre-amp to use with the DacMagic - as a fun way to play around with the sound/color it a bit?

Thanks!

Top Bottom