• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC / Headphone Amp / Preamp All-In-Ones

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own a Topping DX7 Pro DAC / Headphone Amp combo. I listen to both digital music via USB from a piCorePlayer installed on a Raspberry Pi 4 and analog LPs via XLR from a Pro-Ject Phono Box RS. I listen using Audeze LCD-3 headphones and a preamplifier and amplifiers through my Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III HSE speakers.

I am looking to minimize the number of components in my system. Ideally, I want a single component that functions as a preamp that includes a DAC, headphone amp, analog RCA and XLR inputs and outputs and a remote volume control.

I've been searching for some time for a single component that fits my needs. The last criteria is that it measure well.

I could buy a Parasound Halo P 5 but it has functionality I do not need (a built in phono preamp) and mediocre digital measurements.

I've thought about buying a Schiit Jotenheim 2 with a balanced DAC module but it is lacking a remote and likely has less than stellar measurements.

I'm considering a Benchmark HPA4 but it is lacking a DAC. Its measurements are state of the art and was likely going to be my choice.

Then last night I ran across the SPL Phonitor X. This looks to be a perfect fit for my needs. (And it has nifty VU meters!) But I have found no objective reviews - only a lot of flowery subjective ones. I'd like to buy one and send it to Amir for review but it looks like it's a special order everywhere I have found it available and thus not returnable.

Does anyone know of any objective measurements of the SPL Phonitor X or any other components that would fit my needs?

Sure wish Topping would come out with a single component that would fit the bill but they seem to be going the opposite direction as I would need 4 separate boxes to fit my needs - a D90, A90, Pre90 and Ext90.

Thanks,
Martin

Last edited:
OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For anyone interested I ordered a red SPL Phonitor X with the DAC768xs AK4490 module and it is on its way to Amir to be tested.
Phonitor_x_front_red_2560.png

Martin

Last edited:
OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am hoping it tests Benchmark HPA4 well. I believe it should. It's made by a German professional audio company with a good reputation in the pro audio field.

Martin

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For anyone interested I ordered a red SPL Phonitor X with the DAC768xs AK4490 module and it is on its way to Amir to be tested.
Phonitor_x_front_red_2560.png

Martin

Better luck this time round! (also, is there anything audio available in red you wont buy?)

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know of any objective measurements of the SPL Phonitor X or any other components that would fit my needs?

Sure wish Topping would come out with a single component that would fit the bill but they seem to be going the opposite direction as I would need 4 separate boxes to fit my needs - a D90, A90, Pre90 and Ext90.

Thanks,
Martin
Why would you need the Ext90 ?
Does this SPL Phonitor X. have more inputs than the Pre90 alone ?
Nice beast and not so cheap.
Admit it,
after the Yulong Aquila II DAC it's the Red colour that attracts you ;)

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Better luck this time round! (also, is there anything audio available in red you wont buy?)

Nice beast and not so cheap.
Admit it,
after the Yulong Aquila II DAC it's the Red colour that attracts you ;)

I think you're on to me... :p

The color red attracts me. (I must be part bull.) I have a pair of these in my office:
speaker.jpg

I have also always liked the look of this turntable:
Debut-Carbon-EVO-48.jpg

Fortunately, I have a very nice black turntable.

Martin

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

With the Topping Pre90 I'd need two XLR inputs, one for a DAC and one for my phono preamp, hence the need for the Ext90.

The Phonitor X only has one pair of XLR inputs but it also has an inbuilt DAC so I only need the one.

Martin

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've always wanted to see how it competes vs the hpa4! Nice one!

They have some proprietary op-amps (120v voltair) that are intriguing and I've always wanted to know if they really do provide better performance.

My fear would be that the integrated dac wouldn't perform that well but RME doesn't seem to have problems implementing built-in dacs that perform well.

I would place a bet on at least audible transparency on the dac and SOTA performance on the amp. I guess we'll see :).

Be careful though, I have heard if it isn't used correctly it could damage the unit, make sure to read the entire manual well and pay attention to detail. I believe it had something to do with unplugging the headphone while in use.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-...r-design-keeps-breaking-anyone-else-same.html

Just wanted to give you a heads up @Martin . Wouldn't want your new toy to break. Maybe good to give @amirm a heads up as well.

I saw an official review somewhere where the guy loved it but he broke it the same way. So I really want everyone to be aware of the possibility of damaging the unit if not used as directed.

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the Topping Pre90 I'd need two XLR inputs, one for a DAC and one for my phono preamp, hence the need for the Ext90.

The Phonitor X only has one pair of XLR inputs but it also has an inbuilt DAC so I only need the one.

Martin
Thanks
I'll be eager to read Amir's review.
Should we push it up via the "dacs" wish list ?

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks
I'll be eager to read Amir's review.
Should we push it up via the "dacs" wish list ?

He knows I’m on a tight timeline. There is only a 14 day return window (that I hope I don’t need to use). It hasn’t shipped yet.

Thanks,
Martin

Last edited:
OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always wanted to see how it competes vs the hpa4! Nice one!

They have some proprietary op-amps (120v voltair) that are intriguing and I've always wanted to know if they really do provide better performance.

My fear would be that the integrated dac wouldn't perform that well but RME doesn't seem to have problems implementing built-in dacs that perform well.

I would place a bet on at least audible transparency on the dac and SOTA performance on the amp. I guess we'll see :).

Be careful though, I have heard if it isn't used incorrectly it could damage the unit, make sure to read the entire manual well and pay attention to detail. I believe it had something to do with unplugging the headphone while in use.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-...r-design-keeps-breaking-anyone-else-same.html

Just wanted to give you a heads up @Martin . Wouldn't want your new toy to break. Maybe good to give @amirm a heads up as well.

I saw an official review somewhere where the guy loved it but he broke it the same way. So I really want everyone to be aware of the possibility of damaging the unit if not used as directed.

Good to know, thanks. The manual does seem to have a few warnings.

Martin

KenG

He knows I’m on a tight timeline. There is only a 14 day return window (that I hope I don’t need to use). It hasn’t shipped yet.

Thanks,
Martin

Have you heard any update on the shipping or review of the Phonitor X? Beautiful looking and sounding headphone amp and I've always wondered how it would test. Amir's review might finally put me over the edge to buy one.

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you heard any update on the shipping or review of the Phonitor X? Beautiful looking and sounding headphone amp and I've always wondered how it would test. Amir's review might finally put me over the edge to buy one.

It shipped yesterday and Amir should have it this Friday.

Martin

Dvass13

I'm interested to see the performance of the Phonitor X. I'd love to see numbers that match its price point.

KenG

Martin, did you get confirmation that Amir received it and any indication when he might do the measurements/review?

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well that was disappointing. I've found another unit that meets my needs... DAC, preamp and headphone amp in one and this one I know measures as SOTA: https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html

ADI-2-ProFSr.png

Plus it has DSP. I just wish it was availabe in silver. (Betcha though I was gonna say red, didn'tcha?)

Martin

Dvass13

There are still a number of options available. The Matrix Audio Element X measures very well and should check all your boxes. Matrix Audio also has a few other units that might work as well - Element i, Mini-i 3.

There are also a number of options above that price point: Bricasti M3h, Bryston BR20, Boulder 812, dCS Bartok, Aurender A30, Mytek Empire... ranging from expensive to astronomical. I post only because I would love to see someone send one of these in to Amir to test.

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are still a number of options available. The Matrix Audio Element X measures very well and should check all your boxes. Matrix Audio also has a few other units that might work as well - Element i, Mini-i 3.

There are also a number of options above that price point: Bricasti M3h, Bryston BR20, Boulder 812, dCS Bartok, Aurender A30, Mytek Empire... ranging from expensive to astronomical. I post only because I would love to see someone send one of these in to Amir to test.

First thing I saw on the Matrix Audio Element X webpage was an MQA logo - that's a non-starter for me. I refuse to give those DRM purveyors my money. Plus it's missing the requisite balanced analog input I need for my Pro-Ject Phono Box RS.

I'm tired of rolling the dice on unproven products...

Top Bottom