• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC Hacks & Mods: Zhaolu Oritek DAC

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Being an old retired audio enthusiast with too much time on my hands, I have continued my (likely pointless) responses to the attacks on Amir and ASR at AudioAsylum.com. Here's a LINK to the thread, and my handle there is Dave VH. (Good luck in navigating the threads at AA with their ancient format.)

Last edited:

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Being an old retired audio enthusiast with too much time on my hands, I have continued my (likely pointless) responses to the attacks on Amir and ASR at AudioAsylum.com. Here's a LINK to the thread, and my handle there is Dave VH. (Good luck in navigating the threads at AA with their ancient format.)

My favourite post:

srjit: On his site there are a few Trump supporting Christian nationalists who would like nothing more than to see Amir's people and home country eliminated.

OMG, is it true that Christian nationalists are seeking to eliminate engineers, technicians, and Puget Sound/Washington State? :eek:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
OMG, is it true that Christian nationalists are seeking to eliminate engineers, technicians, and Puget Sound/Washington State? :eek:

A few here (well we aren't there that often) in Leesburg Fl. At our first potluck everyone stood up and said the pledge of allegiance just like grade school in the 50's (I used the Star Trek version). Then onto the green bean and canned onion ring casseroles with canned ham and pineapple.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mods would range from fixing obvious safety concerns like missing protective earth to complete change of the output stage and capacitors upgrade. I had installed a zapfilter output stage with its own power supply on mine. I still have the unit somewhere although it's been a very long time it was replaced by buffalo dac. All i can say is that , at the time, it was quite an improvement on the analog output of my SONY CDP.
Uh huh.

BTW: your forum name reminds me of an audiophile snake oil: C37 laquer. Just a coincidence?

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The headless panther is too good for those results. Will a pink panther blend?
Well, recently I suggested a panther without upper torso for a unit with 45 dB SINAD, but here we certainly need just the lower legs. However if this trend continues we shall end with no panther left at all.:(

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
A few here (well we aren't there that often) in Leesburg Fl. At our first potluck everyone stood up and said the pledge of allegiance just like grade school in the 50's (I used the Star Trek version). Then onto the green bean and canned onion ring casseroles with canned ham and pineapple.

When we all pledge to a common thing, our other differences are supposed to melt into the background so we can get on with life.

I loved your Star Trek reference, btw. Eating together and discussing whatever differences ppl may have had likely did more to bond those around the table than anything else (other than who was getting that last bit of casserole).

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Well, recently I suggested a panther without upper torso for a unit with 45 dB SINAD, but here we certainly need just the lower legs. However if this trend continues we shall end with no panther left at all.:(

Since the panther's gender is its own business (and subject to change) we couldn't have it clutching its jewels like it has been kicked in the groin.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
(Good luck in navigating the threads at AA with their ancient format.)

I see they erased the wine forum. IIRC SY and I and a few others made a mess there a long time ago.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ds.jpg

dc655321

Major Contributor
My favourite post:

srjit: On his site there are a few Trump supporting Christian nationalists who would like nothing more than to see Amir's people and home country eliminated.

Here's another gem:
Then Amir, who Uptone won't even sell a product at FULL PRICE, a stance numerous companies have teken....encourages someone to buy it then return it within 30 days. This is border line fraud.
Apparently oblivious to the notion that selling a product which cannot possibly perform its purported miracles is fraudulent, while unconditional returns are not.

Hypocrisy is hard...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here's another gem:
I trust if I sold elephant poop to grow hair he would buy it to try it because I give 30 day return privileges. The thing he has to remember is why he wants to be the PR person for audio companies instead of a consumer advocate.

C37

Uh huh.

BTW: your forum name reminds me of an audiophile snake oil: C37 laquer. Just a coincidence?
Funnily in 16 year's time or so on DIYaudio no-one addressed me by a "Uh Huh". Talk about a welcome.

Just make a search there on user profile and you will find me: (this should answer your question)
Screenshot_2019-10-21 diyAudio - View Profile C37.png

I registered here out of pure nostalgia of the first (and only) Dac i have ever modded to this level and that had brought me enough confidence to go and make diy builds after. I think my two posts are self evident and i don't sell anything. Go and get a soldering iron and then we can have a constructive talk. It was really fun. Nowadays i don't see the point in modding dacs anymore. there is much more to learn elsewhere.
Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: 617

dc655321

Major Contributor
I trust if I sold elephant poop to grow hair he would buy it to try it because I give 30 day return privileges.

Wait. Does that work for hair loss? Asking for a friend.

The thing he has to remember is why he wants to be the PR person for audio companies instead of a consumer advocate.

Do you know for sure he does not work for an audiophool company?
OTOH, could just be that hate is a helluva drug...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Funnily in 16 year's time or so on DIYaudio no-one addressed me by a "Uh Huh". Talk about a welcome.

Just make a search there on user profile and you will find me: (this should answer your question)View attachment 36641
OK, I take it back (the Uh huh).
I registered here out of pure nostalgia of the first (and only) Dac i have ever modded that had brought me enough confidence to go and make diy builds after. I think my two posts are self evident and i don't sell anything. Go and get a soldering iron and then we can talk.
I did already, see here where I undid some mods I've done many years ago on a Arcam Black Box 3. I described the results of this mod here. Since then I know how easy it is to fool oneself. That's why I wrote Uh huh when you wrote "quite an improvement". Didn't want to be offensive.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
there are people here who claim all DAC hardware sound the same and can never tell the difference between a $50 USB Stick DAC or $3000 DAC Unit from like Macintosh...

Well, I don't know of many who make the first claim, but I am definitely one of those who believes that price has nothing to do with sound quality.

You seem to doubt that there are plenty of $50 dongles that would be audibly equivalent to any competently designed DAC.

Edit: Actually, you told me I should delete my account as a result of these beliefs...remember?

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

And then a trip to the pharmacy to stock up on pepto if it's like too many potlucks...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Here's another gem:

Apparently oblivious to the notion that selling a product which cannot possibly perform its purported miracles is fraudulent, while unconditional returns are not.

Hypocrisy is hard...

What lovely people.

We should all be so lucky to have Amir's record of 'failure.'

C37

OK, I take it back (the Uh huh).

I did already, see here where I undid some mods I've done many years ago on a Arcam Black Box 3. I described the results of this mod here. Since then I know how easy it is to fool oneself. That's why I wrote Uh huh when you wrote "quite an improvement". Didn't want to be offensive.

Fair enough LTig- I haven't listened to it since ages and let's keep things in context- it was back in.... 2006? But i do recall i liked it at the time- would not cut it now that is why i mentioned it was probably irrelevant today in my second post. I agree with you modding can be a mixed bag and there should be measurements to show the so-called "improvements". I think we are on the same page for this.
Cheers

PS: As for some reason i have the feeling some people here are not following the thread i would like to make it clear that in my posts I am referring to the Zhalou dac modified by myself at the time following discussions on diyaudio and not the commercial offerring modded one of the time that is being tested here.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair enough LTig- I haven't listened to it since ages and let's keep things in context- it was back in.... 2006? But i do recall i liked it at the time- would not cut it now that is why i mentioned it was probably irrelevant today in my second post. I agree with you modding can be a mixed bag and there should be measurements to show the so-called "improvements". I think we are on the same page for this.
Cheers
Yeah, I bought the Arcam in 1991 and did the mod in 1998 (just checked my notes). Looooong time ago ...
Cheers back (raising wine glass with pinot noir).

Top Bottom