• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC full range speaker setting

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I still cant figure out if it matters if I check full range speakers or not in windows when the PC is treating the DAC like a speaker.

Anybody know if this matters?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    41.4 KB · Views: 257

jcadduono

If you want your DAC to receive the full signal without any low end frequencies being cut off, then yes set it to full range speakers and it will be mostly an unmodified signal depending on the player. (aside from resampling and mixing with other audio)
I'm not sure exactly how windows does the frequency cutoff, whether it's a hard 40hz cut or a fast roll off or slow roll off, someone might have to measure it. See post #4 (it does nothing, it is only a flag for players to read)

There's also another option when you go into Properties of a DAC and visit the Advanced page.
"Enable audio enhancements" (might not be available on all DACs)
Some DACs may have a specific tab there for audio enhancements as well.
I would also disable that, which prevents filters from modifying the signal. I am unsure if full range speakers setting falls under this, but Equalize APO and whatnot uses this feature to intercept audio outputs and modify them.
These settings only affect DirectSound and WASAPI Shared output from players.
If you use WASAPI Exclusive, your DAC will always receive the full unmodified non-resampled signal sent by the player, as this entirely bypasses Windows' mixer which these settings are for.

Last edited:
OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
What I was wondering though, does the driver bypass that setting? Only reason why I ask is that I don't seem to be receiving any cutoff from not have "full range speaker enabled". I guess it couldn't hurt to turn it on though just to make sure.

I've also seen realtek drivers where in their own setting control panel you could change it to full range speaker, and the windows setting would stay unchanged!

jcadduono

Alright I've looked more into it and the setting actually does nothing! It is meant for players to read the setting and perform frequency adjustments themselves based on it. I would say that there are probably not many applications out there that actually care for this setting, so in effect it really does do nothing at all.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Awesome! Leaving it checked full range should certainly do nothing negative then I assume?

Top Bottom