• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC frustration

DAChead

First, what a great and useful resource this site is!

Alas, I've had unfortunate luck with DACs. My first, a Geek Out 1000, was brilliant while it lasted, except for the fact that it ran so hot, portability was out of the question. Within 5 months, it upped and quit. Support from LH Labs was non-existent.

The next, an smsl M6 was fine. Adequate as as a desktop headphone amp.

The Resonessence Herus Plus. Sweet sound but requires cumbersome cabling for a portable DAC. In the end, at $450, overpriced for what I could do with it.

And most recently, as recommended on this website, the Topping NSX4 DSD. Probably great but incompatible with two of my Android devices. Topping support could not provide a solution so I returned the device.

So, here I am. Hat in hand. Hoping to finally, finally find a usable portable DAC under $200.

I'm hoping Amir or community members can recommend a solution to my DAC woes.

Thanks to all, in advance!

digititus

Maybe you should explain which devices it will be used with? If the NSX4 DSD doesn't work, can you explain why? Android OTG issues?

vert

Forum Donor
USB Audio Player PRO has worked flawlessy will all DACs I've used with the restriction you can use the DAC just with the app, or the developer's recording apps. It costs a few dollars but it's a good solution. Unless you wanted to be able use the Topping DAC with other apps as well?

OP
D

DAChead

Hi folks. Thanks for replies.

To clarify, the Topping worked with Hiby app on my Android devices. It was buggy though and sometimes the device lost control of the DAC. It refused to work with any app that has a streaming capability. e.g. Tidal, Google Play Music, Plex, etc.

I have a Motorola x4 running Android Pie and a Samsung Tab A tablet, running Android 8. These are the two devices I intend to use the DAC with, but more so the Motorola.

BTW, I can spend a little more than $200 if need be.

Again thanks.

digititus

I can only recommend what works for me and that is the Fiio BTR3. Most useful when connected via Bluetooth (using LDAC codec). Can be connected as a USB DAC. Sounds good to me. Reliable and costs around $70??
I have a portable music player (Shanling) which can also be used as a DAC, but I never do because the BTR3 connects easily with all devices (computer, phones etc.) I do not notice any loss in SQ from LDAC codec when on the go.

OP
D

DAChead

@amirm what do you recommend as the best portable DACs for Android devices and normal efficiency iems (TFZ Series 2) (other than Topping products)?

Thanks Amir!

August

在Apple + Camera Adapter上使用portableDAC是一个更好的选择.Android设备通常不能很好地支持UAC2.0协议。采样率可能会锁定在全局音频上,导致SRC。这是一个长期存在的软件问题与Android.Only一些中国制造商已经解决了这些问题,如vivo,xiaomi,而不是galaxy,pixel。

Veri

Master Contributor
Wow google translate has gotten good. Translation:

Using portableDAC via Apple Camera Adapter is a better option. Android devices usually don't support the UAC 2.0 protocol very well. The sample rate may be locked on the global audio, resulting in SRC. This is a long-standing software issue with Android. Only some Chinese manufacturers have solved these issues, such as vivo, xiaomi, NOT galaxy, pixel.

OP
D

DAChead

@August , hi. Thanks for suggestion. One more device to use a device. Like taking a pill to combat the side effects of another pill. Still, I'll look into your recommendation. It makes sense. Btw, @Veri Google translate hasn't worked so well for me in Thailand as the results here. Lol.

DosThou

I'm using Musiland MU2 Plus with USB Audio Player Pro myself. I see that Topping NX4 offers similar or better measurements but I honestly can't be bothered to add another devices that need charging in my life so I'm pretty happy with dongles solution.

Compatibility wise it works without any fiddling on two of my three android devices even without additional apps like mentioned above (while I needed to flash a custom rom with the other case).

I think simply installing USB Audio Player app would fix your situation, there's an option to enable streaming apps like tidal via it so that's another problem fixed. wait this doesn't seem to be the case.

Another dongle option is Hidizs Sonata which iirc can be changed to be compatible with UAC 1.0 but that one has 10 ohm output impedance which would affect most IEMs out there.

OP
D

DAChead

I see multiple mentions of Amir's 'recommended list' but cannot find the actual list. Can anyone provide a link? Thanks

August

No one has ever counted,Open each amirm's review and pull the progress to the last few lines,Maybe,bro.

Top Bottom