• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC frequency

junk88

Does anyone use 768kHz? I keep my LDAC at 96 kHz awesome to me would my usb in at 768kHz be better?

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nope.
I've seen these crazy sample rates used in editing, specifically editing DSD as converted to PCM and back again.
Using higher sample rates than necessary with some plugins/DSP effects can prevent some issues.
Tested 384 kHz compliance with my DAC using some test files. Can't see (or hear) the point in terms of playback.

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

Some time ago, I made "blind" listening tests of the EXACT same disk played on the EXACT same system.
It was Beethoven's 5th and 7th by Carlos KLEIBER with the Wiener Symphoniker released by DG about 35 years ago.
That is available in CD, to be downloaded as a 16/44 or in 24/96 hi rez.
It also comes in Blu-Ray audio with 24/192khz.

On my system, I was able to tell the difference between .mp3, ripped CD (not with AccurateRip...), original Cd and 24/96 files.
But Iwas totally unable to tell a difference between 24/96 and 24/192.
Even though I never tried, I am pretty sure I won't be able to tell apart 24/96 from 32/384 or 32/768...
And I wonder if there's anyone in the world being able to do that... except when being fitted with high-end audio measurement equipment...

Of course may way out of line here :-(

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone use 768kHz? I keep my LDAC at 96 kHz awesome to me would my usb in at 768kHz be better?
You probably would have a better sound, keeping it at 44.1kHz ot 48kHz.

192kHz digital music files offer no benefits. They're not quite neutral either; practical fidelity is slightly worse. The ultrasonics are a liability during playback.

Neither audio transducers nor power amplifiers are free of distortion, and distortion tends to increase rapidly at the lowest and highest frequencies. If the same transducer reproduces ultrasonics along with audible content, any nonlinearity will shift some of the ultrasonic content down into the audible range as an uncontrolled spray of intermodulation distortion products covering the entire audible spectrum. Nonlinearity in a power amplifier will produce the same effect. The effect is very slight, but listening tests have confirmed that both effects can be audible.

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Top Bottom