• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC for subwoofer(s) only

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How many subs do you plan on having? Would replacing it with the MiniDSP 2x4 HD be an option? It would be an all in one solution with the CCA directly connected to the 2x4HD via the TOSLINK port, computer running REW into the 2x4HD via the USB port, Rotel amp and subwoofer via the analog RCA outputs.

Also have the option to upgrade the 2x4HD to Dirac in the future.
2x4HD would be a step down from nanoDIGI w/good DAC's imo:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-and-minidsp-2x4-hd-dsp-and-dac.2674/

OP
B

Bhh

Forum Donor
The plan is for two subs. There were two reasons I went with the nanoDigi. The first is as @rvsixer mentioned, the 2x4HD DAC is unfortunately a weak link, which is too bad as that device is superior in every other way.

Probably the bigger reason though is my amp will wake up from standby mode automatically when it detects a digital signal (and go back into standby 20 min after it stops) but it doesn’t do that for analog. Given that my wife uses google assistant to play music sometimes and not having to mess around with a remote when we cast from our phones is a huge plus, maintaining a digital signal path up to the amp was imperative.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I figure distortion and such is already pretty high down in that frequency range and noise shouldn’t be much of an issue so would a $10 SPDIF to RCA L/R “converter” work just as well?

I def wouldn't spend too much on this DAC. A $10 converter is likely to sound exactly the same as anything costing 10 or 100 times more.

The main argument for getting a cheap but well-performing DAC that has been measured here is knowing for sure that it will not have any issues.

The Schiit Modi 3 is slightly cheaper than the Topping D30 and performs about as well. Even this would be significant overkill for your purpose though IMHO :)

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Bhh - side note. Have you tried the nanoDIGI remote control volume, does it really work? I am trying to decide between cheaper but lots of boxes/clutter (nanoDIGI with DAC's), or expensive but all nice and consolidated (SHD).

OP
B

Bhh

Forum Donor
@rvsixer. It does work and works pretty well. You can map any remote control button on any remote to one of several functions inside the dsp software.

I hear what you are saying completely. This all lives in a cabinet (with additional boxes for IR repeaters) so it as all pretty tucked away but if it was out I’m the open, I’d be forced to deal with it a different way. I need to upgrade my mains also so I have better places to spend the extra money right and wanted to give the dsp thing a try on the cheap. I could see myself upgrading this to a SHD at some point and moving the nano to my shop which is where my audio stuff continues to live when the living room stuff gets upgraded.

BTW, this is what I ordered to run my REW sweeps through the nanoDigi. Just stick it at the end of the headphone to RCA cable I’m currently using and only gets used occasionally... https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...wTpk9A_1dg04q1pmYVTm5LX2w6cPWqxgaArDrEALw_wcB

Top Bottom