• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC for Speakers

rar133

Hi everyone.

Most of the threads deal with using dac or dac/amp combos for driving headphones. I don't use headphones. I need a DAC to use with my JBL 104.

I used to use a focusrite solo and m-audio bx8 monitors which did a good job for me. because i wanted to declutter my bedroom (plus uncorrected, and corners would just resonate), i went for the JBL 104 and now need a matching DAC. (audio interface is not consumer level friendly and i don't need mic or instrument input)

My choice so far is the K5pro for the multiple in.
My question is which would be the best dac for just that purpose? how would it compare sound wise to the focusrite audio interface dac i had?

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sound wise? No difference in reality.
Get the one with the functions you need.
What are you planning to connect?

OP
R

rar133

Sound wise? No difference in reality.
Get the one with the functions you need.
What are you planning to connect?

1. the most important connection is from my pc (win10) to my speakers (95% of the time).
2. because sometimes i don't want to turn the pc on (power consumption of an oc 5ghz chip), i have already bought a fiio btr3 to plug to the jbl's aux in port. this can connect to both my phone (bandcamp, youtube) and potentially an android box (chromcast or mi box)

functionality (and availability) has the Fiio K5pro top of the list (im in Mauritius, shipping is a min 50-60 usd on any price listed online). it has multiple input options i can use (spdif IF i get a tv) vs audio interface (mic and instrument are basically useless).

just the review has the K5 pro as having a bad sinad. in reality, how is this gonna affect me?? i listen to normal levels and once in a while like to crank up the volume.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
just the review has the K5 pro as having a bad sinad
Not bad, but not as good as some others. Taking that in account, it has a lot of good functionality and a good price.
I wouldn't be worried at all. If you want a better AMP/DAC with the same functionality you would have to go a lot higher in price.
From the review: "In that regard, and in the context of a budget product that is designed reasonably well, I am going to recommend the Fiio K5 Pro. "

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
i have already bought a fiio btr3 to plug to the jbl's aux in port. this can connect to both my phone (bandcamp, youtube) and potentially an android box (chromcast or mi box)
Same reason I have a ChromeCastAudio connected to my HAD-1, great streaming device.

Top Bottom