• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC for second system recommendations

aslan7

A while back I bought an RME DAC that many here recommended and it is fantastic with the VTV Purifi amp. I just converted my basement into a soundproofed listening space and instead of selling a Wyred 4 Sound integrated use it down there with a CD player. Now I miss not having a DAC in this system for listening to the radio and playing high res files on my iMac via Roon. So what would be a good DAC to integrate into this system? Topper has attracted my attention. I don’t want overkill but don’t want to be disappointed and it appears there is now a bewildering array of DACs under 1k. Any ideas would be appreciated. I just use USB with the Mac and want a DAC to enhance the CD player, though I use it less and less. So simplicity is a plus. Thanks.

SMc

Any positively-reviewed DAC with enough inputs should be okay. USB for the iMac and coax or optical for the cd player (although chances are its onboard DAC is okay), yes? Skip the cd player requirement and you could start with the Apple USB dongle for next to no money or the Topping D10 for a little more. More money? More features: multiple inputs, xlr output, Bluetooth, etc.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s all about features really. How important are things like. Allo Boss 2 gets you a great dac with built in streamer with dsp if you run moode or volumio.

OP
aslan7

aslan7

Yes, USB and Coax are a must and XLR is preferable. Well built with a good display is important. I never heard of Allo Boss so will check. I use an old Rega Apollo and am reasonably happy with it.

Trell

Major Contributor
From reading your posts perhaps buy a second RME ADI-2-DAC since you are looking at DACs in that price range? A plus is that you know how to set it up as well as operate it. The ADI-2-DAC can also operate standalone (without a Mac/PC) by using SPDIF, if needed.

OP
aslan7

aslan7

From reading your posts perhaps buy a second RME ADI-2-DAC since you are looking at DACs in that price range? A plus is that you know how to set it up as well as operate it. The ADI-2-DAC can also operate standalone (without a Mac/PC) by using SPDIF, if needed.

As variety is the spice of life I would like something different and a little cheaper. That’s why the new Topper that Amir reviewed recently looked tempting but it is probably overkill. Unfortunately I am susceptible to the audiophile mania for cool toys.

OP
aslan7

aslan7

I thought about the Schiit and the price is amazing. That may be the best.

OP
aslan7

aslan7

Just for the record after much indecision I bought a used Topping DX 7 Pro and it is excellent. Unlike the RME in DAC mode you can't adjust the volume but not a problem. This is my first Topping product and I am vastly impressed.

Top Bottom