• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac for cd player only?

cliffy

Hi, I am thinking of buying a new DAC for my 2 channel setup ,which also includes a power amp and a passive pre amp, the Dac will be connected to the cdp by a digital coax.
I don't mind if the Dac has a volume control.
I was hoping to spend about £300 (or more if needed),so what is the pick of amirm dac reviews are best suited for my set up.
Thanks Cliffy

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That machine has a very respectable Wolfson 192K/24bit D/A converter. For CD playback only, I really don't think you will gain anything by using a standalone D/A converter.

If you intend to feed other digital sources however, a standalone D/A makes sense.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, Onkyo C7030

That has the Wolfson WM8718 DAC chip, which is a 24-bit chip that can handle sampling rates up to 192 MHz and from all I can tell a decent sounding chip. Meaning, it likely sounds like any other 24/192 chip. DACs rarely sound audibly different, unless very poorly engineered our made to tweako specs with tubes and such. Meaning I concur with Restorer John.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be amazed if a separate DAC improved that CD player, it is a fairly modern and well respected player from a well regarded manufacturer.

OP
C

cliffy

Thanks for the reply's, yes the chip is well respected but the sound from player I felt, was a bit thin sounding.
I am hoping to hand the schematic over to a guy to see if it can be tweaked to improve sound.
Cheers

Top Bottom