• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac for bluetooth headphones or not

Reli

Hi,
I got a pair of Bluetooth headphones (focal listen) and I would like to get most of them in regards to sound quality. Please can someone advice if I would benefit getting a DAC and connecting it to my phone wired or is not worth.
If so would it make any difference using a standard Samsung type c jack adapter instead of e.g. Hidizs S8 taking in consideration I don't have high end headphones.
I am new to this and I am getting very interested to understand ☺️

Thanks all for the info in this forum.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A Dac converts from digital to analogue. Since your headphones are Bluetooth, you send them a digital signal, over Bluetooth and the dac won't do anything at all for them.

Unless you can also connect the headphones wired to an analogue headphone amp. However even if they do, it is unlikely you will hear any improvement, unless your headphones use one of the poorer Bluetooth codecs, or they are very high end.

It might help if you tell us which headphones you have.

EDIT - you did tell us :facepalm: - focal listen (presumably the wireless model). In which case they are Bluetooth only as far as I can tell, so a DAC won't do anything for you at all.

They do use good quality codec's/profiles, so you are good to go.

Last edited:
OP
R

Reli

Thanks Tony, that make sense. They do come with the cable so can be used wired as well and I remember reading somewhere that is better quality sound wired hence my question but if you are saying that there would not be any noticeable difference than I don't have to worry for now. I would like to get the sound they can offer.

Also I have another question is it true that android phone converts the sampling rate to a lower one - I have some cd quality albums on my phone thats why - or still this will not effect my headphone's audio quality.

Sorry for my novice questions
Cheers

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Tony, that make sense. They do come with the cable so can be used wired as well and I remember reading somewhere that is better quality sound wired hence my question but if you are saying that there would not be any noticeable difference than I don't have to worry for now. I would like to get the sound they can offer.

Also I have another question is it true that android phone converts the sampling rate to a lower one - I have some cd quality albums on my phone thats why - or still this will not effect my headphone's audio quality.

Sorry for my novice questions
Cheers
Bluetooth can't quite transmit at CD quality, so yes, there is a resampling that must take place - but it is pretty close. I recently tried a blind abx test with 128Kb/s MP3 against CD quality uncompressed. I was not able to detect a difference. Bluetooth is much higher bitrate than 128Kb/s MP3, so I am certain that I also could detect no difference between bluetooth and full uncompressed CD.

If you want to check for yourself, the online ABX test is here:

If you are able to tell the difference between 128Kb/s, try 320. Bluetooth is probably better than 320MP3, but not much. Though you might want to use the headphone out of your PC and connect to the headphones wired, so you are comparing MP3 with lossless.

Last edited:
OP
R

Reli

Bluetooth can't quite transmit at CD quality, so yes, there is a resampling that must take place - but it is pretty close. I recently tried a blind abx test with 128Kb/s MP3 against CD quality uncompressed. I was not able to detect a difference. Bluetooth is much higher bitrate than 128Kb/s MP3, so I am certain that I also could detect no difference between bluetooth and full uncompressed CD.

If you want to check for yourself, the online ABX test is here:

If you are able to tell the difference between 128Kb/s, try 320. Bluetooth is probably better than 320MP3, but not much. Though you might want to use the headphone out of your PC and connect to the headphones wired, so you are comparing MP3 with lossless.
You are completely right, so difficult to detect any difference especially with my setup.
I think I have learnt a lots about audio now, thanks

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Yep, SBC Bluetooth (the most "standard" codec) transmits at roughly 300kbs assuming you've got a decent connection. It's really very good...no need to worry about another dac.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You are completely right, so difficult to detect any difference especially with my setup.
It is very hard to hear any difference with any set up, when doing proper ABX testing, if you know what you are listening to, then you will hear the difference that you want hear, like everybody else.
bleutooth is a very practical solution and allows to hear music comfortably, which in my book is a very important aspect in trying to enjoy listening to your favorite music.
My advice, spend more time finding music well recorded, that makes a big difference in what you hear and no time questioning bluetooth.

OP
R

Reli

It is very hard to hear any difference with any set up, when doing proper ABX testing, if you know what you are listening to, then you will hear the difference that you want hear, like everybody else.
bleutooth is a very practical solution and allows to hear music comfortably, which in my book is a very important aspect in trying to enjoy listening to your favorite music.
My advice, spend more time finding music well recorded, that makes a big difference in what you hear and no time questioning bluetooth.
Interesting what you are saying because now that I think I know a bit more about audio lol I took out my old headphones that I haven't used for a long time and when I was comparing them with my new ones I noticed that when a song was well recorded my old headphones sounded good taking in consideration that is nothing special about them compared with my focal listen ones. Made me think exactly what you are saying and a few times questioning if I needed a new pair lol (apart of the headphones characteristics).

Thanks

Top Bottom