• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC distortions and audibiity

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, Ive noticed some comments on a few DAC reviews which I think might not be quite correct.

First- SINAD- lets say DAC X has been measured as a SINAD of 120 and DAC Y 110. That doesnt mean DAC Y has 10dB of distortion more than X that you would then hear, does it? (Taking on board Solderdude's reply, appreciate the SINAD is only one of a set of metrics and cant be translated directly into audibility when listening to music- which I think is part of my reason for posting this- I think some folk are doing just that)

Second IMD. So lets say DAC Y is an ESS based device with the "hump". DAC X is a better measuring AKM device. So Say at -35db Y has an SMPTE/DIN ratio of -66 dB and X has -80 at the same. Could one hear that difference if A/B testing, other things being equal (blind testing of course) ?

I think not, because then that would give lie to the mantra around here that any well measuring modern DAC should be audibly transparent- DAC Y being one such reasonably recent high flyers.

I'm talking about audibility when listening to music here, of course. Not any of the array of tests that may be run with tones.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
One would have to differentiate between test tones and music when one talks about audibility levels.
Masking is an important aspect of audibility.

SINAD only says something about noise level + THD @ 1kHz at a certain output level (usually 0dB).

Last edited:
Top Bottom