• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC Digital Volume Control with DSD64

DKT88

I am trying to use an SMSL M8 as the input device to a power amp. Playback is Foobar-DAC-Power Amp. Playing PCM files I have digital volume control, but with DSD files there I can't limit the volume. I only get full volume on playback. Is it possible to limit volume in software with DSD?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that I know of. I saw a claim by ESS that hardware volume control of DSD was possible with their newer chips, but I don't know who, if anyone, has implemented this. The usual solutions are to convert DSD to PCM in your player software, or acquire a preamp or passive volume control for analog volume control upstream of the power amp.

OP
DKT88

DKT88

Not that I know of. I saw a claim by ESS that hardware volume control of DSD was possible with their newer chips, but I don't know who, if anyone, has implemented this. The usual solutions are to convert DSD to PCM in your player software, or acquire a preamp or passive volume control for analog volume control upstream of the power amp.
Ok thanks for the answer.

Top Bottom