• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

DAC burn-in/break-in? My Gustard X16 measurements

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Thread Starter #441
As expected, blind tests are very tough and very time consuming, especially when listening for small changes in volume.....

I managed to complete only 6 blind listening comparisons this morning and I decided to stop as it already took me 30 minutes just to do 6 comparisons. I started to get impatient and seem to loss the ability to detect slight change in volume near the end.

The number of tries not yet reached statistical significant.

First 5 correct, last one failed. 5 out of 6 correctly identify which DAC is which.

Test song is Pocket Piano from this album:
https://tidal.com/playlist/e368f41b-c5d9-4121-aa2a-e1c49ce1e17a,

The x16 started cold, was turned off for 12 hours. Tests started about 10 minutes after powered on. E30 been on for more than 3 days.

Wife is the one who helped me with the blind tests. :)

She flipped a coin each time to decide which button in RCA quick switch to press before I start my listening. She would make sure both buttons were unselected before she select the button.

I am going to call it quits while I am ahead.

Really, not worth spending more time to investigate as the differences are now too small to bother me. Time to enjoy music!

: p

Again, I thank everyone here for being patient with me and many for providing me tips and advises!

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As expected, blind tests are very tough and very time consuming, especially when listening for small changes in volume.....

I managed to complete only 6 blind listening comparisons this morning and I decided to stop as it already took me 30 minutes just to do 6 comparisons. I started to get impatient and seem to loss the ability to detect slight change in volume near the end.

The number of tries not yet reached statistical significant.

First 5 correct, last one failed. 5 out of 6 correctly identify which DAC is which.

Test song is Pocket Piano from this album:
https://tidal.com/playlist/e368f41b-c5d9-4121-aa2a-e1c49ce1e17a,

The x16 started cold, was turned off for 12 hours. Tests started about 10 minutes after powered on. E30 been on for more than 3 days.

Wife is the one who helped me with the blind tests. :)

She flipped a coin each time to decide which button in RCA quick switch to press before I start my listening. She would make sure both buttons were unselected before she select the button.

I am going to call it quits while I am ahead.

Really, not worth spending more time to investigate as the differences are now too small to bother me. Time to enjoy music!

: p

Again, I thank everyone here for being patient with me and many for providing me tips and advises!
I commend your dedication.

Now please, don't buy anymore hifi kit for a while ;-)

Top Bottom