• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC burn-in/break-in? My Gustard X16 measurements

threni

Major Contributor
Taking things as read.

Given the measurements have returned to original ones, has your perception of the sound returned to the original unsatisfactory output?

Perhaps it won't until he's stood in the cold garage for 24 hours.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Taking things as read.

Given the measurements have returned to original ones, has your perception of the sound returned to the original unsatisfactory output?
It will have now you've said that.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I'm more worried about the supposed 12 dB difference in output levels between the e30 and x16 than any tiny differences over temp /time with the x16. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-to-check-with-measurements.20505/post-681868
That one is specific to Tidal app issue on Windows. Somehow when using forced volume mode, it forced down volume for e30. Turn off forced volume, then manually set everything to max, then it is OK. However, if I touch the volume slider inside Tidal app, like slide it down and then to max, Windows volume control would auto adjust down E30 volume. Very odd.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Taking things as read.

Would love to try, but I thought I should at least measure warm up effect first. By the time I was done, it was 11pm......I have family members sleeping... Today is checking REW sweep as suggested.

No one will believe me anyway if I simply say I hear a different again. Next thing people will ask for is "measurements".

Also, blind tests with downstairs system will annoy my family members a lot.... Especially after they suffered through my E30 vs KTB listening tests period end of last year through January 1 of this year.

: )

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand where you're coming from with the "It is NOT accurate, but consistent" thing. If if's not accurate, surely all bets are off. Its only consistency is its inaccuracy. If one could take meaningful measurements with something which was inaccurate, why would people spend thousands on proper tools, and yet more getting them checked, fixed and calibrated frequently? You're saying it's "consistent within 0.001V". It's not even rated as being that accurate in the first place! And that's if the marketing on a cheap, discontinued piece of kit can be trusted.

If you were using something this inaccurate to measure medicine in a situation where slightly too little or too much could kill you, would you be happy with "well, it's not an accurate method of measuring weight, but I know how inaccurate it is so I can compensate"? Wouldn't you sue a pharmacist if they gave you the wrong dose and relied on that "logic" if you suffered harm? Different stakes are at play here but...well, the same answer though, right?

How many more times? Well, on a site dedicated to measurements, you don't bring a plastic knife to a gunfight.
Oh no! Not the plastic-knife-too-a-gunfight or spork reference. It's on now. I actually resisted reading through this thread based on the topic title but I now realize I should have immediately jumped in with my old Radio Shack multimeter.

raif71

Major Contributor
Would love to try, but I thought I should at least measure warm up effect first. By the time I was done, it was 11pm......I have family members sleeping... Today is checking REW sweep as suggested.

No one will believe me anyway if I simply say I hear a different again. Next thing people will ask for is "measurements".

Also, blind tests with downstairs system will annoy my family members a lot.... Especially after they suffered through my E30 vs KTB listening tests period end of last year through January 1 of this year.

Yeah I think you mentioned time and time again about how your family went through last year's test. I initially thought that was hunky dory family fun perhaps some of the times a bit irritating stuff but now I'm not so sure what they went through, lol :D

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Yeah I think you mentioned time and time again about how your family went through last year's test. I initially thought that was hunky dory family fun perhaps some of the times a bit irritating stuff but now I'm not so sure what they went through, lol :D
I think they would still begrudgingly help if I ask enough time, nicely, and promise goodies. : )

I like to listen loud. Wife always said "are you done yet?" when I finished just one song with my downstairs setup. Imagine suffering through this times and times again for blind test purposes...

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Oh no! Not the plastic-knife-too-a-gunfight or spork reference. It's on now. I actually resisted reading through this thread based on the topic title but I now realize I should have immediately jumped in with my old Radio Shack multimeter.
Since you bring it up, would you please share your thoughts about these two posts?

See
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...my-gustard-x16-measurements.20679/post-687522

And
The post below it.

What do you think? Thanks!

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Perhaps it won't until he's stood in the cold garage for 24 hours.
Yeah,maybe I should try standing in cold weather for a few hours, listen, then taking hot sauna for 30 minutes and listen again.
; )

Taddpole

But if you don't hear anything it'll save you a lot of time and effort searching for something unfindable.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

It's not too late to run...

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
But if you don't hear anything it'll save you a lot of time and effort searching for something unfindable.
Yes, this is the obvious thing to do. But see post #250..... Silent measurements are much better for family harmony.

Frio

Slightly disappointed, you try to sell us some inconsistent mV measurements as something only your golden ears can hear, but you can't hear a difference in loudness of mir tan factor 2 (12db)?

Top Bottom