• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC Build Quality

Which has the best build quality, QC, parts etc.

• Total voters

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With dacs, I'm just not sure there's much of any benefit to spending more to get a better build. I'm OK with spending a hundred bucks on a dac that sounds audibly indistinguishable from a $500 dac. Even if the cheapie craps out in a year and a half, I'll just replace it with another $100 dac. By then there's likely to be some hot new cheapie on the market anyway. Spending more is certainly no assurance that you won't have issues. I've got a couple Topping dacs (a D10 & an E30) and they both seem well built and work great so far.
We not only have to listen to the DAC. We have to look at it and touch it too. Arguably, the visual and tactile qualities are just as important.

Also, even with warranty, the hassle of having to deal with a manufacturer can be unpleasant.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
We not only have to listen to the DAC. We have to look at it and touch it too. Arguably, the visual and tactile qualities are just as important.

Also, even with warranty, the hassle of having to deal with a manufacturer can be unpleasant.

I never have to touch the dac really. I do like the remote on the e30. But yeah, if we're talking about aesthetics and it's about getting a dac that's cool to look at then sure, spend away. Otoh, I don't think I've seen too many dacs that were all that awesome to look at. They are mostly pretty standard affairs visually...

Last edited:

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I never have to touch the dac really. I do like the remote on the e30. But yeah, if we're talking about aesthetics and it's about getting a dac that's cool to look at then sure, spend away. Otoh, I don't think I've seen too many dacs that were all that awesome to look at. They are mostly pretty standard affairs visually...
Some do look better than others though. It helps of the industrial design communicates it's function and makes you think it's doing a good job. Much of it is psychological anyway.

Also, I dislike sharp corners. Even if I never have to touch it, the sharpness feels threatening. I know it's silly...

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do expect a 20 year life span from a hifi component .

I don't think planned obsolescence is viable in the future . Just buying new cheap stuff and throw away things .

We can still keep the size of our economy .

If we buy better stuff more seldom and keep it longer , this "better stuff" is then of course more expensive , but it evens out as you buy more seldom.
And also things meant be in use for a long time needs to be somewhat repairable and upgradable and ofcourse be of such good quality that failure is very rare.

My prepro from 2004 a MeridianG68J is one example it fits some of my ideas not all.

It's expensive , in fact a to expensive.

Firmware and configuration software is still avaible for free , no costs 17 years later .

I had it repaired for diverse issues like failing power supply . The repairs where surprisingly cheap due the products modular nature.
Brand service was very good.

But it actually failed which should not ever happend yet at this price point.

And it is now unsupported by Meridian when it fails again there is no official support anymore , I have to go to third party repair guy.

Another example my in-laws still have a B&O stereo from the late 70's in working condition, its probably not at spec anymore but it produces sound.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Was really hoping for more votes here...

Keep in mind that this is ASR. Members obviously give their opinions here including subjective ones. But most here strive to give educated, evidenced-based opinions. In light of that your poll may not generate a lot of votes.

For example: even if I owned a Topping (I do not) I wouldn't vote in your poll given that I've never owned anything by Gustard, SMSL, or Loxjie. I wouldn't feel qualified to vote for the "best" build quality without some level of direct experience with all 4 brands. Also, while there are some incredibly knowledgeable ASR members who understand electronic components in great detail, most ASR members are regular audio consumers who use this site for measurements. Difficult for us to make qualified judgements on build quality or parts; even if I opened up a DAC I wouldn't know what I was looking at to determine good from bad.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Gustard now has a website and they @gustard have an account here... have read a number of other comments here and elsewhere suggesting build quality is excellent, so will likely go with a Gustard X16. Also the owner appears to be an audio enthusiast himself, turned audio component maker... rather than the other way around, which I respect.

This thread though was not only for my own purposes, rather was hoping it could be a resource for comparison on build quality of these units.

Soncoz looked ok, but seemed to be missing some functionality in relation to input options.

RME ADI 2, Matrix Audio range and MiniDSP SHD Studio are certainly nice options providing excellent functionality, however likely overkill for usage requirements in this temporary apartment system I'm "upgrading".

JSmith

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my small sample use case quality of build experience i would upvote matrix audio and downvote smsl

Top Bottom