• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC as good as RME ADI-2 FS but with more balanced I/O?

Grumbledoz

Is there a DAC front end as good as the RME ADI-2 DAC FS but also has more balanced outputs to send signal to at least a subwoofer or even better to a 5.1 system?

Users on other forums have said that using a XLR-Y cable to mult the output to a sub amp will degrade the hifi signal. Also no support for splitter or switch boxes.

I would be fine with using a separate surround receiver output connected to a source selector on the power amp as long as having the switcher in the signal chain doesn’t cause issues to 2 channel hifi performance.

So much snake oil in the hifi world makes it very challenging to figure out what’s reality. I find it very hard to believe that XLR jacks wired point to point will negatively impact sound quality.

Not married to the RME, just appears to be the best unit of its type in it class. What else should I be looking at? Most important features are sound quality, preamp functionality and ability to playback the current best quality file types.

chnan

Not sure about the compatibility with 5.1 audio signals, I personally use multi-channels DAC for solutions for Active-Crossover.

an used RME UFX can be found on ebay $900~1200.
Or Motu AVB ($700) or 828ES ($1000)

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Second hand RME ADI-2 Pro FS R. Same quality and DSP capabilities as DAC, only with two DAC chips and four balanced analogue outputs (plus analogue inputs if you ever need them). I got mine for £1200 on eBay.

Top Bottom