• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac as a preamp with sub question

misteracng

Hi folks, excellent info from this website.

I have the RME adi-2 fs DAC. I run the amp to the speakers off the XLR balanced output. Can I then run a sub off the unbalanced RCA outputs? If you, would you just adjust the the crossover and gain on the sub to tailor the sound? If this works I assume that other dacs like the matrix audio element series could be used in a similar way to have a simple 2.1 system without needing a preamp?

Thanks

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have the RME adi-2 fs DAC. I run the amp to the speakers off the XLR balanced output. Can I then run a sub off the unbalanced RCA outputs? If you, would you just adjust the the crossover and gain on the sub to tailor the sound? If this works I assume that other dacs like the matrix audio element series could be used in a similar way to have a simple 2.1 system without needing a preamp?

Thanks
Hi

Doing that you cannot control which frequencies and volume you send to the satellites and sub.

You should plug the sub to the RME then the sats to the sub.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Does you sub have a high level input?

Some subs, have a high level input that runs in parallel to the main speakers. With my REL sub, I have cables with banana plugs running from the amp to the speakers and an additional cable that runs to the sub with spade connectors at the amp end. The frequency cut-off and the volume, relative to the main speakers is controlled on the sub.

OP
M

misteracng

I plan to use an SVS sb-3000, so I think it has RCA inputs only. I was planning to run the left an right RCA from the dac to the sub.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I think that might work, if you can control the frequency cut-off and the volume on the sub.

Why not contact RME and ask them; they were pretty quick to respond when I asked them a question.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ADI-2 to SB-3000 with RCAs, and SB-3000 to speakers with RCAs as well, and let the sub handle the high-pass/low-pass filtering.

rgpit

Forum Donor

Thanks
That is exactly what I'm doing. However I'm using a Benchmark DAC2HGC with similar balanced and unbalanced outputs. It works just fine.

OP
M

misteracng

ADI-2 to SB-3000 with RCAs, and SB-3000 to speakers with RCAs as well, and let the sub handle the high-pass/low-pass filtering.
Thanks for this info. Seems like a good option to use the sub filtering so the main speakers will not have to handle the low frequencies. I guess running both XLR and RCA from the dac might not be as advantageous because you would not be able to filter low frequencies from the main speakers

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SB3000 doesn't appear to have any high pass filter per the manual....
True, so the speakers would remain full range and the sub starting where they end by adjusting the sub low pass filter.

TimW

Major Contributor
Thanks for this info. Seems like a good option to use the sub filtering so the main speakers will not have to handle the low frequencies. I guess running both XLR and RCA from the dac might not be as advantageous because you would not be able to filter low frequencies from the main speakers
Exactly. You should look at getting another piece of kit for crossing over to the sub properly. Have you looked at miniDSP?

OP
M

misteracng

Looks like a minidsp SHD would work well instead of the ADI-2 dac for DIRAC as well as crossing over the sub in a 2.1 type system. The SHD functions as the dac, dsp and volume control. Nice simple once box solution.

TimW

Major Contributor
Looks like a minidsp SHD would work well instead of the ADI-2 dac for DIRAC as well as crossing over the sub in a 2.1 type system. The SHD functions as the dac, dsp and volume control. Nice simple once box solution.
The SHD is what I use for my preamp for these reasons. It is also a streamer although volumio sucks with most sources.

celroid

True, so the speakers would remain full range and the sub starting where they end by adjusting the sub low pass filter.
Isn't this the ideal setup for 2.1 system?
Why would you not want the speakers to remain full range, and have the sub end where the speakers begin?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you not want the speakers to remain full range, and have the sub end where the speakers begin?
Honestly I don't know. Some users and even some designers prefer to allow the woofer to extend as low as it can, and only then complement with a subwoofer. Other prefer to high pass the woofer instead. Obviously high pass reduces sub bass on the woofer and allows it to play higher with less excursion. The con is possibly not as integrated as without high pass.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer my subs capabilities over my speakers, even in a 2.1 setup and will highpass the speakers accordingly. Depends perhaps on the speakers/subs involved, but subs will generally perform better in the lower frequencies than many speakers will....plus can be better positioned.

Last edited:

12Many

Reviving old thread because good info - good to keep it going for the next person. If the sub and the speakers are both producing audio at the same frequency, that will be booming or overpowering at that frequency. That is why they usually cross over. But some speakers roll off or are speced wrong so just set the cross over to suit your taste or room. Also good to know that people are using both analog outputs from the DAC and using one set for the sub.

Top Bottom