• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC and/or AMP for Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed

nycarrival

Hello all,

I need some help and guidance.

I opened my Aeon 2 Closed and plugged them into my MacBook Pro. I will be honest - I have tried before using Topping DX3 Pro with Senheiser HD 600, but I did not quite experienced much difference from just using my laptop.

I liked teh sound of my new Aeon 2 Closed however it feels like I am not getting much power from my MacBook and I am reaching out to check if you can recommend some device I can get. Is the answer simply an AMP (providing my ears cannot make much difference) or get a combo DAC/AMP.

I will appreciate some recommendations on specific models I can consider. I was thinking about getting the new Topping DX 7 Pro, but thought it may be too much of an overkill for me.

Thanks in advance!

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the original closed back and just sold a DX7pro. I'd really recommend the JDS Atom+ amp/DAC stack. Just got one and the sound quality is just as good with plenty of power for a lot less money.
I've had the regular stacks, but the new plus version was a pleasant surprise when I got one last week, they really tweaked it and sounded better.
The best I've heard to date was a used Topping A90 and the E50 DAC, but if you don't need the crazy balanced power, the Atom+ stack is just as much fun for way less money.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not all MacBook are equal but seem to measure well mostly. If you are maxing the volume and its not loud enough, look to something like a Jds Atom or topping L30 mk2 amp and get a 3.5mm to 2 x rca lead (cheap) to run from your mac to the amp. Should be all you need

OP
N

nycarrival

Do I really need a DAC if I cannot make the difference between my MacBook sound and a DAC?

bkjernisted

How does the drop aeon closed x sound with the qudelix 5 k. Is there a good preset, for example the dance preset, that would liven it up to a similar level of the dan clark aeon noire?

Top Bottom