• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC and Amplifier for a boat

OP
D

danno0676

Meby you should reconsider more serious BT speakers for your case of use. They won't be great but don't have to be bad either and have also convenience of use in your conditions and water and dust prof while staying relatively cheap. Other than that see outdoor, professional stage and such one's.
All of the components will be indoors, a conditioned environment, running on constant 120 volt provided by a generator or via power cord from shore.

The question is not "what would you use" the question is will the 2 items work in conjunction with each other and produce good sound. The interior of the vessel is in no way different than your typical house or garage and should not be outfitted differently as such.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
They may be indoors but they will be in high humidity and aerosol conditions. It's less of a problem for speakers (with modern not paper cones) but it's a problem for power amplifiers (pretty much everything with active electronic components).
Example of not bad and serious outdoor speakers:
Try to find something like that but active (with integrated amplifier), unfortunately not many of those mesured hire.
For a BT one's try with Anker Soundcore Trance Go in pair from Amazon or some other place where you can ship them back easily if you are not satisfied.
I don't know how much noise makes your generator or bord engine but I am certain there will be times when you want to shut it down and enjoy the music in quite environment.
Best regards and have a nice time.

OP
D

danno0676

They may be indoors but they will be in high humidity and aerosol conditions. It's less of a problem for speakers (with modern not paper cones) but it's a problem for power amplifiers (pretty much everything with active electronic components).
Example of not bad and serious outdoor speakers:
Try to find something like that but active (with integrated amplifier), unfortunately not many of those mesured hire.
For a BT one's try with Anker Soundcore Trance Go in pair from Amazon or some other place where you can ship them back easily if you are not satisfied.
I don't know how much noise makes your generator or bord engine but I am certain there will be times when you want to shut it down and enjoy the music in quite environment.
Best regards and have a nice time. That still doesn't answer my question, and I know all of that already. These items will be in a controlled environment, inside, a/c in the summer, heat in the winter...24/7
No. That still doesn't answer my question, and I know all of that already. These items will be in a controlled environment, inside, a/c in the summer, heat in the winter...24/7, controlled environment just like your house. I have listed everything and still can not get an answer as to the production of sound from the components I listed so I will say it again:
120v generator and shore power
Pure sine inverter
Already have 12 v stereo and am happy with its audio production for what it is used for

I want big and loud, will these components work?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You can't control aerosol nor humidity once salt gets in.
You got a proposition for pasive outdoor speakers with measurements and hardly you will find better. From there search for professional stage amp capable to last in harsh conditions and a DAC with IP rating if you really want to go with components build and operating on home grid. Sorry I can't help you more than that.

OP
D

danno0676

You can't control aerosol nor humidity once salt gets in.
You got a proposition for pasive outdoor speakers with measurements and hardly you will find better. From there search for professional stage amp capable to last in harsh conditions and a DAC with IP rating if you really want to go with components build and operating on home grid. Sorry I can't help you more than that.
Lord Jesus....
I'm not asking for help with IP ratings, they have no effect on where these are going.
Well what makes me such an expert you ask... I've been a professional mariner for the past 15 years. The same home television sets have been on my vessel for the past 7 years, they have sailed from Texas to Florida and all the way up the east coast. My last boat, now 15 years old, I still visit, has the same 5 TV sets on it. Only one needed to be replaced because the seas were so bad it was beaten off of its wall mount. Home stereos work just fine out here, had the same one for on current vessel for 7 years. I want to upgrade it..I have speakers...7 years old and still sound great. I want to upgrade what drives them. I found these 2 components and asked if they are compatible to replace a mid tier integrated amplifier HK receiver....that still works flawlessly after 7 years, albeit underpowered.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
:eek: Reminds me of (some of) the doctors I've seen who cannot be bothered to listen to what I have to say, only what they want to tell me; something I eventually learned to stop doing in my IT career.
Those seem like very reasonable choices, though you might find the smaller 1502 amp more than adequate, and cheaper, should you ever need to replace.
Most of these devices are more than capable of adequate sound (short of 'reinforcement'; hope your not That Guy at the dock!) either on the water or tied up.
There are almost too many choices for these devices today, at good prices, too. See the various reviews here for more input, and to make sure your money is actually getting you decent performance. Otherwise, go for the features you want/need.
Sure, corrosion might be a concern in a saltwater environment, but might also take years? to develop, and these things are now pretty inexpensive/replaceable nowadays.
Best wishes!

OP
D

danno0676

:eek: Reminds me of (some of) the doctors I've seen who cannot be bothered to listen to what I have to say, only what they want to tell me; something I eventually learned to stop doing in my IT career.
Those seem like very reasonable choices, though you might find the smaller 1502 amp more than adequate, and cheaper, should you ever need to replace.
Most of these devices are more than capable of adequate sound (short of 'reinforcement'; hope your not That Guy at the dock!) either on the water or tied up.
There are almost too many choices for these devices today, at good prices, too. See the various reviews here for more input, and to make sure your money is actually getting you decent performance. Otherwise, go for the features you want/need.
Sure, corrosion might be a concern in a saltwater environment, but might also take years? to develop, and these things are now pretty inexpensive/replaceable nowadays.
Best wishes!
I get what you are saying, and it makes perfect sense. That being said, I have real world experience with these types of devices in the intended environment. I understand corrosion and your concerns, but there are some places on these types of vessels where it simply doesn't matter. The places where it does gets the properly rated equipment and protection from the elements. The audio/visual equipment is simply not on that list (with the exception of engine room and cockpit cameras). My 12v onboard stereo and speakers is all marine rated because it is subject to the elements. The items in question within this post will all be safely nestled within the salon, free (ish) from the elements. Sure, they may only live for 5-10 years with the vibrations they will see, but I am fine with that. My question still remains, will these items work to produce what I am after?? From there I will make my decision on which way to go. Ideally, whatever I buy can be used at my home, or boat.

No, I am not that guy at the dock......the boat becomes the party boat once it leave.

A Cute Earring

RF interference can be problematic on a boat. I have a component that emits a pretty strong carrier on marine VHF channel 9.

OP
D

danno0676

RF interference can be problematic on a boat. I have a component that emits a pretty strong carrier on marine VHF channel 9.
You are absolutely correct, also varying voltages. A quality UPS device can clean that up for your sensitive electronics. As for you VHF, have you checked your ground bus? Improper grounds, or dirty ones, can cause feedback. Sometimes just moving one from one point to another may help too. Line filter? Ferrite bead?

A Cute Earring

You are absolutely correct, also varying voltages. A quality UPS device can clean that up for your sensitive electronics. As for you VHF, have you checked your ground bus? Improper grounds, or dirty ones, can cause feedback. Sometimes just moving one from one point to another may help too. Line filter? Ferrite bead?
Great suggestions. It’s not on a boat at the moment, fortunately. Power is through a new, pure sine wave UPS and multiple handheld radios detect the signal. So sone fiddling is in order. Ferrite beads are next…

OP
D

danno0676

Great suggestions. It’s not on a boat at the moment, fortunately. Power is through a new, pure sine wave UPS and multiple handheld radios detect the signal. So sone fiddling is in order. Ferrite beads are next…
Odd that the UPS did not clean it up, but then not all do a good job at that. Best of luck, tracing that stuff down can be a real bear!!
I had an issue with my navigation set up passing a line up and down the display, I moved the ground to a different bus position, problem solved. Grounds can be funny.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Salt water, Chesapeake bay area of Virginia. Fully enclosed cabin, out of the elements. Think, you could live on it in a pinch.
Oh, what area?

My Mum lives on the northern neck just off the Coan river. Spent nearly 2 months out there this year.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, sinewave inverter as well as a very large generator that is used to run the fridge, heat/ac and electronics. Plenty of juice.
Then I'd say your crown/bluetooth/SMSL combo should work fine, given your loud boomy objective :). You may need to consider salt related shortened lifetime of the kit - but I'm guessing that would be a small factor in the general running cost of a hole in the water. :D

Crown amps are not known for being the lowest of the low when it comes to noise and distortion, but still good enough for most cases, and a boat is never dead silent optimised listening conditions. Plus crown is great for loud and boomy. They are also designed for pro applications so likely to be more robust than your average consumer kit. I'd guess the rack mountability is also good for a marine application.

Last edited:
OP
D

danno0676

Then I'd say your crown/bluetooth/SMSL combo should work fine, given your loud boomy objective :). You may need to consider salt related shortened lifetime of the kit - but I'm guessing that would be a small factor in the general running cost of a hole in the water. :D

Crown amps are not known for being the lowest of the low when it comes to noise and distortion, but still good enough for most cases, and a boat is never dead silent optimised listening conditions. Plus crown is great for loud and boomy. They are also designed for pro applications so likely to be more robust than your average consumer kit. I'd guess the rack mountability is also good for a marine application.
No, she's quite noisy when underway!! Yes, all a pittance when compared to the operating costs, but really the salt air does not affect things on the inside like you would think, the cabin is really well sealed.

I have room above my fridge area that is perfect for the mounting location, lots of air flow. I figure I can add the eq to help clean up some of the noise, we'll see how it works out.

Thanks for the answers, it was kind of a rough start on here.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a nice area. I'm just around the corner on the Piankatank River.
We didn't go quite that far south, but pretty close at Windmill point marina on the northern side of the Rappahannock.

It is a beautiful part of the world - at the right time of the year when the temperatures are not Bloody Stupid Hottm :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the answers, it was kind of a rough start on here.

Welcome - people here do like to give their version of the perfect answer. Even when you don't want it. :D

OP
D

danno0676

We didn't go quite that far south, but pretty close at Windmill point marina on the northern side of the Rappahannock.

It is a beautiful part of the world - at the right time of the year when the temperatures are not Bloody Stupid Hottm :)
I know that area very well, super nice boats there, very pretty.

Top Bottom