• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC and Amplifier for a boat

danno0676

I am very new to this part of stereo builds. I've always had something loud, shop stereo and car "system", but I am trying to put something basic, but powerful in my boat, a big sportfish style boat.
I don't necessarily need an "audiophile" type stereo, just loud and boomy.
Music will be streamed only, most likely by a phone or mp3 player.

I am looking at
crown xls2502 amp
and
Denon DN-200BR bluetooth audio receiver
or
SMSL SU-8s for the addition of a remote control

From what I have read this will work?

I may later add a
SCHIIT Lokius for some added control.

EDIT for additional information:
I attached a picture of the boat. I have an onboard generator and a pure sine inverter. The audio system will be completely inside, perhaps a set of outdoor speakers later but no planned for now. Future integration will be networking TV's in the staterooms all integrated to one sound system.
I already have a 12 v style radio for light listening.
Bottom line question, would this work in a house???

Attachments

• 243192049_147761427495786_8163577655790774300_n.jpg
    243192049_147761427495786_8163577655790774300_n.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have 110/120V on the boat? How powerful is the inverter? And is it sinewave voltage output?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Fresh or salt water?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I am very new to this part of stereo builds. I've always had something loud, shop stereo and car "system", but I am trying to put something basic, but powerful in my boat, a big sportfish style boat.
I don't necessarily need an "audiophile" type stereo, just loud and boomy.
Music will be streamed only, most likely by a phone or mp3 player.

I am looking at
crown xls2502 amp
and
Denon DN-200BR bluetooth audio receiver
or
SMSL SU-8s for the addition of a remote control

From what I have read this will work?

I may later add a
SCHIIT Lokius for some added control.
Then stick with a 12 vdc car audio system.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yes - you have 'kin big lakes the size of small seas over on that side of the pond, don't you. :cool:
Lol... Crazy stuff for sure. Windstorms, snowsqualls, waves etc etc... Entire iron ore ships capsized and sunk on those lakes.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz map.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
D

danno0676

You have 110/120V on the boat? How powerful is the inverter? And is it sinewave voltage output?
Sorry, sinewave inverter as well as a very large generator that is used to run the fridge, heat/ac and electronics. Plenty of juice.

OP
D

danno0676

Then stick with a 12 vdc car audio system.
I want loud, lots of thumpy bass. I know what it takes to create that in an automobile, and the strain it puts on the vehicle's charging system, having to add capacitors for stored energy so the amps have enough power on tap for the deep stuff. This boat spends its days and nights doing river cruises, with only the occasional offshore fishing excursion. The generator runs the entire time to keep the interior properly conditioned for the crew (wife and kids). When I am at the dock I do NOT want the stereo running off of the batteries, I want it running off of shore power, and when at sea off of the generator.

apexkingjusto

Little off topic, but Fusion makes an incredible DSP for boats. If you’re not familiar you should seriously take a look.

OP
D

danno0676

Little off topic, but Fusion makes an incredible DSP for boats. If you’re not familiar you should seriously take a look.

Not a bad idea, I may do something like that on our center console. I am really looking for a "home theatre" type for our sportfish, something I can maybe integrate a TV into for movie nights.

OP
D

danno0676

I added some more information to the original post. Thank you for your input so far.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Meby you should reconsider more serious BT speakers for your case of use. They won't be great but don't have to be bad either and have also convenience of use in your conditions and water and dust prof while staying relatively cheap. Other than that see outdoor, professional stage and such one's.

Top Bottom