• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC and AMP recommendation for hd58xx

heyimempty

Hello, a few months back I purchased the hd58xx per recommendation on reddit from a lot of people and I have become more and more of a audio enthusiast and wanted to help my headphones sound better and drive them louder as they don't get very high. After a few days of reading reviews I've come to the conclusion that one of the best combos is the jds labs atom and the topping d50 for their nice compatability estheticaly and their amazing performance. But since I'm not sure if there are better alternatives I came here to ask for a recommendation. The combo price should not exceed 350 euros as its my maximum budget. Thank you all in advance.

jasonq997

Forum Donor
If you just need USB inputs I would recommend the Topping D10 model. You can grab another set of headphones with the money saved. No audible difference. Good transparent signal chain and amplification.

Bald1

Concur about the Topping D10. Mine is paired with a Garage 1217 Project Polaris amp (reviewed elsewhere on this site and designed by our own solderdude). Great synergy with Sennheiser headphones! I think this combo would still be within your budget.

8AC7mRR.jpg

1poYIw2.jpg

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello, a few months back I purchased the hd58xx per recommendation on reddit from a lot of people and I have become more and more of a audio enthusiast and wanted to help my headphones sound better and drive them louder as they don't get very high. After a few days of reading reviews I've come to the conclusion that one of the best combos is the jds labs atom and the topping d50 for their nice compatability estheticaly and their amazing performance. But since I'm not sure if there are better alternatives I came here to ask for a recommendation. The combo price should not exceed 350 euros as its my maximum budget. Thank you all in advance.
Assuming this is for a Windows PC, a (used) Creative Labs Sound blaster Z sound card, makes a good budget DAC/amp, for driving the 150-Ohm HD58X headphones.
Topping DX3 Pro and Xduoo XD-05 are DAC/amps well with in your budget.

OP
H

heyimempty

Thank you all for the replies, would the topping dx3 pro be a better fit then atom + d10?

twsecrest

Thank you all for the replies, would the topping dx3 pro be a better fit than atom + d10?
I think the DX3 Pro, XD-05 and D10/Atom would all do the job.
I like having everything in one unit (DX3 Pro/XD-05), but if you plan on buying more headphone amplifiers (besides the Atom), then go with the D10/Atom combo.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You won't do better than the JDS Atom, it is a wonderful bit of gear at a ridiculously low price given the performance it delivers. My advice would be to try the Atom on its own as whereas the Atom could give you a big boost with the HD58X as it'll take them to ear bleeding volume cleanly, it is quite likely that an external DAC won't do anything. If you try the Atom and still think there is something off with your DAC then look at something from Topping or SMSL (or even an ODAC).

garbulky

Major Contributor
My heartiest reccomendation goes to the Emotiva Bas-x A-100 which I've used to drive the HD600, HD6xx (650) and HD700. However I do reccomend having a dac with volume control and to run the A-100 in direct drive mode by engaging the jumpers.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser seem to approve of the Apogee Groove if you want something compact to take a USB output from a PC.

OP
H

heyimempty

Once again thank you all for the replies after another day of scrolling through forums and whatnot I'm gonna give the jds labs atom a try as it seems to be the most worthy at its given price point.

OP
H

heyimempty

As a entry level audiophile isn't it a bit overkill to buy an amp at that price point just to drive a mere 200 dollar headphones? It makes more sense in my head to get the atom since its low price point that can later allow me to purchase a dac if needed. Not trying to be rude just feel like it makes more sense. For now il follow ur advice and purchase the amp and later if necessary il be sure to come here and ask for help.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
As a entry level audiophile isn't it a bit overkill to buy an amp at that price point just to drive a mere 200 dollar headphones? It makes more sense in my head to get the atom since its low price point that can later allow me to purchase a dac if needed. Not trying to be rude just feel like it makes more sense. For now il follow ur advice and purchase the amp and later if necessary il be sure to come here and ask for help.

It's always nice to have "some room to grow" with your other gear. While I don't own a JDS Atom, it looks as if it will provide that. My opinion is that the Drop HD 58X punches above its price class as do the D10 and JDS Atom. I also think you'll get years of use from the D10 & Atom combination.

Did the HD 58X come with a case? If not buy a case from Amazon or wherever also. The headphones will take more wear and tear and are the durability weak link.

Of course you could buy a Topping D30 if you want more than USB input.

twsecrest

Top Bottom