• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC and AMP pairing recommendations for Sennheiser HD700

Tizziano

Hello my dear friends.
I am going to acquire some Sennheiser HD700 and I am in doubt that audio string will be assembled for this one. I'm thinking between a Topping D50s and a JDS Atom Amp, but I don't know if these two will make the Sennheiser sound very cold(very digital), I prefer something warm actually. I look forward to your support in making a decision, and thank you for your attention.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I use the emotiva a100 with my hd700 and it sounds fantastic in direct drive mode. Lots of bass dynamics power detail etc. there is a small hiss on silence. I haven’t heard anything else in the price range come close to it. You would need a dac with volume control before the amp as the a100 volume knob is quite sensitive

garbulky

Major Contributor
Nice setup, I own the same combo and thinking on the HD 700 for headphones, I had the same question since I read the HD700 is very picky on amp and dacs.
THe HD700 are really nice. You may have a tough time buying one as they are discontinued.

jhstark

Just noticed the HD700s are no longer available. I bought a Sukira HiFi 4-pin balanced XLR cable for my HD700s and have been using the SMSL SU-8 / SH-8 in full balanced config. I boost both bass and treble about 3dB with the SH-8's tone controls. Sounds very good to me, but I'm about to try out the DROP THX AAA 789 using balanced out of the SU-8. I expect excellent results, just hope I'm not missing the minor EQ (789 has no tone adjust). I'm not sure you can do much better for the money using SU-8 and 789.

Top Bottom