• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC/Amp with microphone input

linesplice

A buddy is looking for a DAC/Amp combo (or separate, I suppose) that has a microphone input and costs less than $300. Basically, it looks like there are only a handful of options including the Creative Sound Blaster X G6 and the Shiit Fulla. Is there anything else? It would be nice to avoid having to run software, but perhaps that's not an option?
The main use for this is gaming/movies from his (windows) computer.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
A buddy is looking for a DAC/Amp combo (or separate, I suppose) that has a microphone input and costs less than $300. Basically, it looks like there are only a handful of options including the Creative Sound Blaster X G6 and the Shiit Fulla. Is there anything else? It would be nice to avoid having to run software, but perhaps that's not an option?
The main use for this is gaming/movies from his (windows) computer.
Any of the Focusrite Scarlett audiointerfaces would fit the bill while measuring decently, being good quality and having reliable drivers.

They still might be an overkill for gaming though as they are made for home studio recording and producing.

OP
L

linesplice

Any of the Focusrite Scarlett audiointerfaces would fit the bill while measuring decently, being good quality and having reliable drivers.

They still might be an overkill for gaming though as they are made for home studio recording and producing.
Thanks. He mentioned a Burson unit (playmate?) so maybe the Focusrite would work. I’ll pass it along. Thank you again!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Thanks. He mentioned a Burson unit (playmate?) so maybe the Focusrite would work. I’ll pass it along. Thank you again!
The Burson Playmate is a DAC and the Focusrite as any other audiointerface has a DAC built in (plus a ADC for the mic input). So the Burson would not be needed.

mrbungle

What kind of mic input? For XLR with phantom power, as @HarmonicTHD said, audio interface is what they need. Focusrite, MOTU M2 are cheap, have reasonable driver support and are unlikely a bottleneck in any mic setup outside a professional recording booth. The amps are fine for most headphones, except maybe low impedance IEMs or hard to drive planars. Both interfaces have balanced output for external amps. Schiit Fulla is indeed a decent DAC/amp with mic jack.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My son claimed the Motu M4 for this a while back (costs <$300). Needed to add a Rode VXLR Pro for another $40 so he could use the mic built into his gaming headphones.

It does a heck of a lot more; he can plug in his electric guitar and record, including adding sing via a mic (horribly) :D

sgent

Motu M2 has measured better, and Creative Sound has more gamer aimed items which also measure excellent. Either would work for him most likely. The real key is how much of a headphone amp does he need as most interface amps are weaker than a dedicated amp (although creative's is fairly good).

OP
L

linesplice

What kind of mic input? For XLR with phantom power, as @HarmonicTHD said, audio interface is what they need. Focusrite, MOTU M2 are cheap, have reasonable driver support and are unlikely a bottleneck in any mic setup outside a professional recording booth. The amps are fine for most headphones, except maybe low impedance IEMs or hard to drive planars. Both interfaces have balanced output for external amps. Schiit Fulla is indeed a decent DAC/amp with mic jack.
I think he has a vomoda mic? I don't know if this is XLR or USB or TTRS or what.

Top Bottom