• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC+Amp with both analog & digital inputs?

MRC01

Major Contributor
I'm looking for a DAC+Amp device that I can feed a digital signal (USB is sufficient, SPDIF would be nice), that also has an analog input. SE alone is sufficient, XLR would be nice. Yet most of the DAC+Amp devices have only digital inputs.

The only ones I'm seeing having both are the Schiit Asgard and Jotunheim (if you get the add-on board). In Amir's reviews these are good clean amps but the DACs were mediocre. Since then Schiit has changed the DAC from the AKM4490 (which Amir reviewed) to the ESS9028, and Schiit's published measurements look like an improvement.

So... are there other devices I should consider before getting the Schiit?

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
miniDSP Flex?
Digitises the analogue input rather than pass-through but that's to apply DSP so it's well worth it

Balanced and single -ended variants

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
Thanks for the tips. To clarify: I don't need an amplifier, just headphone amp and DAC. Preamp output is nice to have but not essential.
Yes the RME looks fantastic and also has some basic DSP like parametric EQ. But I'd like to keep the price under $500. This is for my work/office system, not my home reference system.

JeremyFife

miniDSP Flex?
Digitises the analogue input rather than pass-through but that's to apply DSP so it's well worth it

Balanced and single -ended variants
Ah - missed the Headphone Amp requirement - Flex won't do that

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
PS: the RME doesn't seem to have an analog input, so it doesn't meet my requirements. :(

JeremyFife

Integrated? Loxjie A30 has a good DAC but average HP. NAD do some decent ones.
You'll have an unused power amp but it'll work fine. These two options are small format so fit on a desk ok

TimW

Major Contributor
My Schiit Hel V1 has this, the V2 has toslink instead of analog input though.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3 does all you are asking for and more.

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3 does all you are asking for and more.

This and the RME look great, but are twice my budget.
So far, the MX5 and Xduo are closest suggestions to what I'm looking for.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
What about the recently reviewed EverSolo Z8 or its little brother the Z6? Stelar performance DAC with decent headphone amp. You can always add a Topping L30 II if you want/need more output for demanding headphones. The Z8 is $699 and the Z6 is $459.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
@enricoclaudio Those don't have Line in.

I know but when you start asking for a for good performance DAC with decent headphone amp, there is no way that you are going to find something like that for less than $500. You have to give something away, unless you increase your budget pass the $1000 barrier, then you are going to see only a few more options, like from RME, Matrix Audio, etc. Then pass the $2.5K and you will get stelar performance DACs with stelar performance headphone amps, like the Matrix Audio element X2 with analog inputs, HDMI ARC, 2 x Optical and 2 x Coax Digital inputs and the New RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

TimW

Major Contributor
I know but when you start asking for a for good performance DAC with decent headphone amp, there is no way that you are going to find something like that for less than $500. You have to give something away, unless you increase your budget pass the $1000 barrier, then you are going to see only a few more options, like from RME, Matrix Audio, etc. Then pass the $2.5K and you will get stelar performance DACs with stelar performance headphone amps, like the Matrix Audio element X2 with analog inputs, HDMI ARC, 2 x Optical and 2 x Coax Digital inputs and the New RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE.
Not everyone is a SINAD chaser. The other products mentioned here with the features the OP wants have perfectly adequate performance.

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
I appreciate the suggestions, you folks found a few that I overlooked. I read them all in detail and it brings me back to the Asgard. It seems to have the best overall measured performance considering that Schiit revised & improved the DAC. The fact that they (like JDS) are a USA company with good support is not a requirement, but a definite plus. I also like the fact that the Asgard has an internal PS rather than a wall wart.

I know but when you start asking for a for good performance DAC with decent headphone amp, there is no way that you are going to find something like that for less than $500. You have to give something away, unless you increase your budget pass the $1000 barrier ...
Not everyone is a SINAD chaser. The other products mentioned here with the features the OP wants have perfectly adequate performance.
Yep. They all make different tradeoffs.

dtaylo1066

Emotiva's XDA3 DAC at $699 has analog (RCA and XLR) input, remote and headphone jack.

Top Bottom