• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC AMP stack for under 500EUR

evonhell

Hello everybody!

I've just recently gotten into audio and I did so by purchasing a pair of DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm. At work I have to use IEMs because of headphone hair, there I use a pair of Moondrop Blessing 2 and Moondrop Aria. I carry a FiiO K3 (the new one) as my DAC and I use it for pretty much everything. This will do fine on the go, especially since I mostly run IEMs through it.

At home I would like to upgrade my setup, mainly add an AMP/DAC stack. While I am happy with my DT 770 Pro I will likely upgrade these within the next 12 months. I am listening to different headphones right now and it looks like my budget for that is around 800-1600EUR and closed back is most likely what I will be going with since I live in a small apartment with someone else. I've looked at Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed and Denon AH-9200 so far. They will all be connected to my PC where I play music from Tidal, FLAC files and play games.

The Schiit stack would be quite expensive to get over here and I would be touching 500 EUR for sure with import toll and 25% VAT. However I would rather pay 100 EUR extra for something that will last than to save 100 EUR and have it break after 6 months. I am also quite worried about output options. For someone new it can be very confusing that some outputs are XLR, others 3.5mm, some balanced, some not.. If I went for a Schiit Magni3+ for example, in what way would I limit myself going forward?

Like I mentioned, I am quite new to audio still so I probably left out something crucial, if I did - please ask!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Little need to spend as much.

Or more portable:

Many more to be found in the review index.

Moravid

Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have my Heresy and a JDS Labs Atom DAC+ stacked and placed behind the monitor where I can see the illumination if need be but it's all automatic and I never have to touch it or adjust settings. So it's plug, play and forget about it and let it do it's thing.

phrwn

Is there some issue with your onboard audio that makes you want an external DAC and amp? Background hissing or too low power output?

jae

Major Contributor
Why does it need to be a "stack"? Pointless having separate units for most people since there is very little point in "upgrading" part of it later if you buy a good unit to start. If you don't have a particular reason to have separate units, better to get a MOTU M2/M4 (which also has mic and line-in ADCs), or if you want more versatility with headphone power (for the prospect of using insensitive headphones later and having lots of headroom), get combo unit from Topping like the DX3 Pro+ or DX5/EX5 and be done with it. Only thing better is the topping DX7 Pro+, the Topping 90-series separates, or RME ADI-2 DAC series all of which are above your budget. Some of the other brands suggested in the thread are fine as well.

Top Bottom