• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC / AMP or Denon AVR-X2200W for movies

Misguided

Hi

Just after a bit of advice. I have a Denon AVR-X2200W home cinema amp but at night I use my headphones, Hifiman Sundaras using the 6.5mm out on the front of the amp into my Topping NX4 DSD using the headphone amp input and then on to the headphone. I keep the volume on the amp at about 40-50 and adjust volume using the NX4 DSD once its plugged in.

I'm wondering if using a DAC with an optical in paired with a headphone Amp would provide a better sound. The quality I'm getting currently is pretty decent and I'm happy with it plus I don't have to mess around with the audio output from the TV but if it would be significantly better through a DAC and Amp then I'd be interested. Also I believe I have the option of using the Zone 2 Pre Outs to an amp although I'm not sure this is going to be any better than what I am currently doing.

Also it's probably worth mentioning if I do buy a separate DAC / Amp it will be a fairly cheap one.

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
Why not plug your headphones directly into the Denon AVR?

OP
M

Misguided

Why not plug your headphones directly into the Denon AVR?
I sort of am albeit with the Topping NX4 DSD in the middle. I chose to use the Topping in between to leave the volume at the same level (the headphone stage on the amp is pretty bad) so when the Mrs uses it the next day it isn't too loud.

My question was more will a dedicated headphone DAC and Amp deliver better results than the AV Amp, if it doesn't fine, but if it will then I may consider buying one.

Zek

Major Contributor
(the headphone stage on the amp is pretty bad)
... and you connect Topping to that output??? ;)
will a dedicated headphone DAC and Amp deliver better results than the AV Amp
Probably yes. You should then look for a DAC that has an SPDIF input to connect it to the AVR via that connection.

OP
M

Misguided

... and you connect Topping to that output??? ;)

Probably yes. You should then look for a DAC that has an SPDIF input to connect it to the AVR via that connection.
Thanks I will have a look out for something to connect to the AVR.

The headphone out sound quality is fine but it doesnt deliver enough power to drive my Sundaras without cranking it up quite loud and I dont like to do that for reasons stated above. I already have the Topping for listening to music so I was using its amplifier function as it was more convenient.

Edit: unfortunately there isn't an optical out on the AVR, I could use the optical out on the TV instead but will need to check into this as switching the audio between Optical and HDMI can cause some issues on my TV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom