• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac/Amp or Dac & Amp Suggestion

aachoudhry

Hello,

I’m a novice in this arena , but have slowly been researching and acquiring as much knowledge as I can.

I recently bought the hd6xx and I’m in the market for a dac and amp. I will be using my MacBook Pro (2017 with usb-c) as my source while listening to Spotify premium and my collection of music accumulated over the years.

I’ve been reading reviews and researching and I think I’ve narrowed down my options by quality, acclaim, and price point, but I would appreciate some feedback.

The topping DX3 Pro

Or

Jdslabs Atom + Topping D30

I like the idea of having an all in one unit. - DX3Pro

I like what the atom offers along with the D30. I realize I’m mixing, which aesthetically isn’t much matching, but from what I’ve read these look like the best amp and dac, respectively, at this price point. (Also, will this pairing work or am I better of going with a more traditional Atom+Ol Dac or A30+D30 setup)

I like also having the option for different connections, which I think either set up offers.

I’m still navigating the audiophile world, so will humbly appreciate any suggestions or insight. I’d like to stay around this price point of under $250.

Thanks!

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Khadas Tone Board + DIY Frame / Enclosure + JDS Atom would still stay under your price point and measure slightly better.

Memoryerror

Forum Donor
You could also go with the JDS Labs El DAC and use your MacBook's optical out (headphone jack doubles as toslink) and pair it with the Atom amp.

But I guess that goes above your price range.

OP
A

aachoudhry

Khadas Tone Board + DIY Frame / Enclosure + JDS Atom would still stay under your price point and measure slightly better.
I’m not much of a DIY person, especially with things like this, so I didn’t really look into the Khadas. I’ll have to do some more research. I appreciate your insight.

OP
A

aachoudhry

You could also go with the JDS Labs El DAC and use your MacBook's optical out (headphone jack doubles as toslink) and pair it with the Atom amp.

But I guess that goes above your price range.
Hmm for some reason I thought apple stopped doing that in 2016. Either way, the el dac is too much for me right now. Thanks for your help though!

bravomail

I will go on dark side and suggest Schiit Modi3/Magni 3 combo. Read their history book on headfi. I have Magni 2 myself and could not be happier. The good thing going for these guys is that they both measure and listen to their products.

OP
A

aachoudhry

This was my original purchase idea, but the more I researched it felt like Schiit marketing was getting the best of me.

It’s definitely in my price range and I like the aesthetic.

Roen

I’m not much of a DIY person, especially with things like this, so I didn’t really look into the Khadas. I’ll have to do some more research. I appreciate your insight.
Buy DIY, I mean, buy board, buy either case or frame, assemble.

You don't technically need the case either, the board is powered through USB so you could just leave it sitting on your desk as a bare board.

Roen

I will go on dark side and suggest Schiit Modi3/Magni 3 combo. Read their history book on headfi. I have Magni 2 myself and could not be happier. The good thing going for these guys is that they both measure and listen to their products.
Have you seen the measurements for the Schiit products on this site?

If you're looking for transparency, Gen 3 Modi and Magni are ok.

OP
A

aachoudhry

Buy DIY, I mean, buy board, buy either case or frame, assemble.

You don't technically need the case either, the board is powered through USB so you could just leave it sitting on your desk as a bare board.
This is intriguing; I’m going to look more into it. Thanks.

OP
A

aachoudhry

I keep going back and forth from dx3pro to jdslabs atom and topping d30... ahhh.

Tarzan

I feel your pain, I cant decide on what balanced set up I want, good luck

OP
A

aachoudhry

Just pulled the trigger on the dx3 pro. Ive been waiting for a promotion to pop up on eBay. Bought it from an authorized seller for $165.

Now I just have to wait a month or so.

o_O

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just pulled the trigger on the dx3 pro. Ive been waiting for a promotion to pop up on eBay. Bought it from an authorized seller for $165.

Now I just have to wait a month or so.

o_O
It is what i use everyday. You will be happy. :)

OP
A

aachoudhry

It is what i use everyday. You will be happy. :)
Thank you. I'm very much looking forward to using it.

Did you have any issues with the bluetooth function? I read somewhere that that had been an issue with some users.

Top Bottom