• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac/Amp, Headphones and Sonarworks problem

Luka

Hi,
I recently purchased AKG K702 headphones.
Looking online, I understood I needed a good amp to power them properly and bring them to the best of their capabilities.
I therefore bought a Matrix Audio M-Stage HPA-2 Classic as a Dac/Amp.

When I first used the combination, I was a little disappointed because I couldn't hear a "quality" difference in the sound, other than the fact that I could bring the volume higher.

I then bought Sonarworks Reference 4 for headphones, which at first I really liked what it did with the sound. It actually corrected what I didn't quite like so far about the headphones.
The big problem is:
When using the amp AND Reference 4, the sound often "breaks". Especially when there are loud low-ends.
But if I don't use the amp and just plug the headphones directly to the computer, this doesn't happen.
I'm really sad, because I really enjoy Reference 4… And I would feel bad not using an amp for these headphones as it seems to be a must, according to everyone on the internet.

I'm starting to think I just shouldn't even use an amp and sell it…

What do you guys think I should do?

EDIT!!!

Finally I found out I had to activate the safe headroom option in Reference 4 and it all works now!!!
Sorry folks haha

But then my question would be:
Should I hear a difference in quality with an amp or not that much?
Maybe my ears aren't trained enough to hear the differences in quality it can bring…?

Last edited:
Top Bottom