• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC/AMP for portable Fostex T50RP use?

Apoptosis

Hi everyone,

I've been reading for days trying to work out what my best course of action is here and I think the more I read the less sure I get.

I currently have a Schiit magni/modi desk setup to run my Dekoni Blue 50Ohm 92mW/dB headphones. I like it very much and want to have some ability to take that sound with me to other rooms at home/work. Don't need long periods of battery life or ultraportable size for public transport use.
According to power calculator I need something in the region of 64mW (35mW RMS) and 1.8v RMS to drive to 110dB (unsure why that arbitrary number but seems to be whats used...)

Ideally I'd like something that:
- Works with iPhone/MacOS though I have a spare Android phone I could use as a DAP with the DAC/AMP if that provides a more easy solution.
- Able to drive the Dekoni's without needing to resort to balanced output and modding the headphones for this.
- 'Traditional' (?) DAC/AMP combo with battery is okay as is USB dongle form factors if the output is there.
- Optional bonus points: Maybe headroom to drive HD600 in future but no plans to buy yet.

The options I've come up with so far:
iFi xDSD: expensive, lots of reviews mentioning poor reliability after about a year. Seems like it would do the job otherwise.
Fiio BTR5: Single ended output is too weak. Balanced is okay but if not for this I'd have ordered one a week ago.
THX Onyx: Seems to output 2V which would just be enough to drive the Dekoni's if my (limited) understanding is right. Small. Portable. Expensive for what it is (so say many on here).

Really appreciate any enlightenment!

OP
A

Apoptosis

I actually grabbed the iFi xDSD and am quite happy with it despite the awkward cable situation.
Seems to happily drive the headphones. I haven't tried bluetooth yet though.

Top Bottom