• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC/AMP for ATH-R70x

Hawxy

Hi all,
After realizing there's nowhere up within the gaming headset scene from my Cloud Alpha's, I decided to branch out into the premium space and have settled on a pair of ATH-R70x's. They seem to have the best price/performance, especially for where I am in Australia. EOFY sales are also making them very affordable (<$390 AUD).

I've been researching DAC/AMPs for the last few days and it seems like a Magni Heresy and a Modi 3+ would be a good combo for this set. Does this seem reasonable to you guys?

Cheers

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Consider the slightly more expensive IEMagni instead of the regular Heresy.

OP
H

Hawxy

Consider the slightly more expensive IEMagni instead of the regular Heresy.
Ah, I didn't know that had been reviewed on here. Couldn't see it on the review index.

Any particular reason why? Just because it's a slightly better Heresy?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Magni's occasionally seem to blow up and they do not have DC protection.
The IEMagni does so is a safer choice.
That would be the only reason though.

Liam2349

Magni's occasionally seem to blow up and they do not have DC protection.
The IEMagni does so is a safer choice.
That would be the only reason though.
Hi, can you explain more about Magni's occasionally blowing up? And the DC protection.

I have been considering a Heretic to help drive my ATH-R70x.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Heretic has protection so is safe to use.

The Heresy did not have the protection circuit.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd recommend the Schiit Heretic for one main reason, the plug is all the way to the left away from the volume wheel. I had a Khadas Tone Board and Heresy combo for a year or so, but the volume wheel being right next to the adapter eventually drove me crazy. If your fingers are the size of an elf, maybe it's not as big a problem :) I would always go with the Heretic though. If you end up with the Heresy, you can't go wrong sound-wise, I loved that amp combo. The new Modi is good too, safe bet.

Liam2349

I'd recommend the Schiit Heretic for one main reason, the plug is all the way to the left away from the volume wheel. I had a Khadas Tone Board and Heresy combo for a year or so, but the volume wheel being right next to the adapter eventually drove me crazy. If your fingers are the size of an elf, maybe it's not as big a problem :) I would always go with the Heretic though. If you end up with the Heresy, you can't go wrong sound-wise, I loved that amp combo. The new Modi is good too, safe bet.
Thanks, I'm thinking I will go with the Heretic for my R70x. Wonder what OP went with?

I was considering the JDS Labs Atom + but it seems more difficult to buy in the UK, where I am, and Schiit sells here, the Heretic is powerful and should be safe now, so it seems a good option.

I think I would pretty much set the volume on the Heretic once and then use the volume wheel on my keyboard (PC use).

Liam2349

So, I had been looking for a Heretic but they were out of stock, and now seem to be discontinued.

Is the new Magni Unity a straight upgrade? Does it have the same protections?

Top Bottom