• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dac/amp comb for hd660s and r200

lostwind

Hey guys I have purchased hd660s recently and I’m going to buy Polk r200 or focal 806 in a month.

Actually I have no Dac/amp at all and I just have few questions.

1. Is balanced dac and 4.4mm out make any sense regardless of power.

2. Is pro-I mini3 great enough or any other cheaper options for streamer (mostly dlna or airplay)

3. Is pa3s powerful enough for Polk r100,r200 or focal 806. My room is small (8m2) so I won’t play it very loud

Over all any other good purchases advice?

enioentity

both are good speakers. focals are easier to drive, but polks are not that hard to drive also. polks have better bass. i was also considering those two among some others and i went with polks r200, no regrets there. im driving them with old panasonic receiver for now. went with e50/l50 stack which will be hooked on new amp when i get it.. headphones i got are sennheiser 58x

OP
L

lostwind

both are good speakers. focals are easier to drive, but polks are not that hard to drive also. polks have better bass. i was also considering those two among some others and i went with polks r200, no regrets there. im driving them with old panasonic receiver for now. went with e50/l50 stack which will be hooked on new amp when i get it.. headphones i got are sennheiser 58x
Thank you for your reply. I may also go with r200 ,e50 and a50s for 4.4mm balance output and smsl ao200 for Bluetooth. Not sure if these will work well.

OP
L

lostwind

for hd660s which will be better?
a50s has liner in and 4.4mm balance out
L50 has balanced in and liner out。
Will they sound different?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will they sound different?
They won't. You just get more power with the L50, which is the better choice, IMHO.
I’m going to buy Polk r200 or focal 806 in a month.
both are good speakers. focals are easier to drive, but polks are not that hard to drive also. polks have better bass. i was also considering those two among some others and i went with polks r200, no regrets there.
It is really striking me how people outside France consider Focal 806 to be in the same league than R200... Long story short: these are not very popular speakers here (the Chora line, in general), only one year after their launch, we started to see up to -50% deals on Choras. Recently, 806 were sold 354€/pair and 816 at 598€... To have seen a few ones IRL, finish is really not good (not to mention they are ugly) and I recently saw the vinyl wrap to lift off on one 806 in store. It does sound OK, tho. But i see no point for it when the (9 years old) Aria 906 could be found not that much pricer. I still have to give a listen to the R200, but I'm pretty sure it is a better speaker in almost every aspect.

OP
L

lostwind

They won't. You just get more power with the L50, which is the better choice, IMHO.

It is really striking me how people outside France consider Focal 806 to be in the same league than R200... Long story short: these are not very popular speakers here (the Chora line, in general), only one year after their launch, we started to see up to -50% deals on Choras. Recently, 806 were sold 354€/pair and 816 at 598€... To have seen a few ones IRL, finish is really not good (not to mention they are ugly) and I recently saw the vinyl wrap to lift off on one 806 in store. It does sound OK, tho. But i see no point for it when the (9 years old) Aria 906 could be found not that much pricer. I still have to give a listen to the R200, but I'm pretty sure it is a better speaker in almost every aspect.
Thank you for your reply.
I will go for topping E50/L50 ,
Smsl ao200
And KEF Q350 (second hand at $430)Or polk r100 (first hand at $ 630 )polk r200 is too pricey in Japan (first hand at $830)
Thank you.

Blew

Thank you for your reply.
I will go for topping E50/L50 ,
Smsl ao200
And KEF Q350 (second hand at $430)Or polk r100 (first hand at $ 630 )polk r200 is too pricey in Japan (first hand at $830)
Thank you.
Which did you go for? I also have the HD660S and feel I may need something a little warmer with more body than the L50 to counter the 660S's sharpness. I have the E50 DAC on my hi-fi system and like it quite a bit, but am not sure how well it would go with the HD660S. I'm currently considering the Gustard H16 or Singxer SA-1.

enioentity

As far as speakers go, stretch yourself and get the best speakers you can afford, they are not a component you change often, they can last a looong time so the money is well spent, especially if you will be using them a lot!

Top Bottom