• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC/AMP and gaming

Boromirka

Will such combination affect latency in games much and will it be possible to have proper experience? I don't only listen to music, but play games too. I haven't found clear answers at forum search, decided to ask here

DGVET

I've been contemplating what kind of headset I was going to purchase for gaming and I do like to listen to audio files as well so I went with the
Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?utm_source=linkshare&referer=WLDVZ3
Massdrop O2 + SDAC
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-sdac-dac-amp?utm_source=linkshare&referer=WLDVZ3

I have to admit for me it was a great combination and I also decided on the new

Antlion Audio Wireless ModMic
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQF165L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the sound quality in Battlefield 5 and Call of Duty BO4 is intense I hear footsteps for days, and I'm sure there's a lot of recommendations out there but I carefully looked at other reviews and each one of these components had great reviews. listening to high-quality audio is ten times better than the experience I was getting with my Logitec G933 no comparison.

Sin Hizer

Good to hear as I have looked at this one a couple of times. I need to get off the fence and pick something. I don’t think this combo has been reviewed yet.

dwang040

Here's what I'll say regarding dacs and amps.

Do you really need a dac and amp? Well, if your motherboard audio picks up electrical noises causing you to hear whiny sounds in your audio, or if you need special features like dsd, etc (I don't think motherboard audios can do that? Maybe they can, but I don't have dsd files so I don't know).

Do I need an amp? If your audio is fine, doesn't have electrical sounds being picked up, however, you feel that the audio is kinda quiet even on 100% or you have high impedence headphones that require more power, then yes, an amp would help you.

I personally got a dac and amp because I felt that my motherboard solution was emphasizing the bass a bit too much (cause gaming audio solutions and all that) and for some reason, gpu coil whine would make its way into the audio output.

Regarding combo, I asked a similar question regarding the o2 and sdac, and the replies were that the o2 amp is outdated and has been replaced by the jds atom. So I suggest giving that a look. There's a review and based on the measurements, it's amazing for the price. As for dacs, the topping d30 was a suggested option, the sdac will work fine as well. I also suggest the fifine mic. It's simple stand mic for like $25. It's a very cheap and good solution if you need a mic for vc. Do note that since it is a stand microphone, you'll have it near your desk, so it might pick up keyboard noises depending on where you place it. You could get a stand for it... I think they are compatible but not too sure.

OP
B

Boromirka

@dwang040 thanks. I have Khadas Tone Board + JDS Atom set up already. As for the mic, i have Samson Q2U ;)

OP
B

Boromirka

How are the khadas? I'm debating either that or the d30. Wasn't sure if they would "stack" togheter very well.
Can't really help with that. They might be kinda in the same tier according to measurements. For Khadas Board you would need a case (for aesthetics), while D30 comes in a metal enclosure already

dwang040

Can't really help with that. They might be kinda in the same tier according to measurements. For Khadas Board you would need a case (for aesthetics), while D30 comes in a metal enclosure already
Gotcha. Did you just get the case on the website? Thought it was for the host board and tone board.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm planning on running a naked tone board until I get my $5 Aliexpress DIY frame. I call it a frame instead of a case, because it's exposed.

OP
B

Boromirka

Gotcha. Did you just get the case on the website? Thought it was for the host board and tone board.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...the-khadas-tone-board.5098/page-2#post-118310

Found a company that printed it for me. 3D model is at the link above (made by Frost). You can see the final result in my post on the last page of that thread

If you wanna use DIY case sold by Khadas, you have to cut it and apply some "mod". There is a guide on that in the same thread

Top Bottom