• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac + Amp Akg K712 Pro

chechu21

Good morning everyone!
I have an Xduoo Xd 05 but the connector is broken. Now I want to buy myself something better. What I do not know whether to buy the dac and the amp separately. Or take advantage of the xduoo dac and buy only the amp. What options do you recommend? My maximum budget is 300 dollars. Will it be enough to get the most out of the Akg K712?
Thank you!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Good morning everyone!
I have an Xduoo Xd 05 but the connector is broken. Now I want to buy myself something better. What I do not know whether to buy the dac and the amp separately. Or take advantage of the xduoo dac and buy only the amp. What options do you recommend? My maximum budget is 300 dollars. Will it be enough to get the most out of the Akg K712?
Thank you!

If I were you , get one of the $100 ish wonder amps (jds atom, schiit heresy) and try with the xduoo as dac. If that doesn't suit, get the matching dac for whichever you pick.

Last edited:

Bob-23

What I do not know whether to buy the dac and the amp separately
I generally prefer modular systems: you don't have to throw off your whole system, if only one part only of it fails (say the amp), or if you want to exchange only one part of your system, say, the dac, for a better one. And I'd repair the connector of Xduoo - keep the things as long as possible, it's human labour in them, and there's enough garabage. I, btw, drive the K702 perfectly with an Objectice 2, a solid beast in a metal case, which also has the advantage of being easily repairable, 'cause it's made with through-hole- components, in case, that matters to you ( to me, it does).

3125b

Major Contributor
The K712 Pro isn't a that hard to drive, but afaik it seems to be picky when it comes to output impedance.
Just get any decent DAC (Topping E30, Atom DAC, Donald DAC and whatnot, just have a look at the reviews - for me volume control is paramount) and amp (Atom amp, Schiit Heresy, Geshelli Archel2 Pro, Topping L30 when it releases etc.) and you`re good to go.
The DX3 Pro V2 (V1 tested here has been replaced!) is probably no a great option due to the fairly high output impedance. There are a couple other products like that one, but off the top of my head I can't think of one that would be a better (or even equal) alternative to the separate devices.
But of course you could try to repair (or have it repaired) your current Xduoo first.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used my K712 Pro regularly with my JDS Labs Atom. There are no problems there. There are a couple other options with equal or better measurements at a similar price point now (Heresey and Archel2) so it's really going to come down to aesthetics and functionality. I'm planning to replace my Atom with a Topping A50s when it comes out, but only because it will match my DAC better (aesthetically) and it offers a balanced out - so I can use the pentacon balanced cable that came with my HD 660s.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The K712 Pro isn't a that hard to drive, but afaik it seems to be picky when it comes to output impedance.
Just get any decent DAC (Topping E30, Atom DAC, Donald DAC and whatnot, just have a look at the reviews - for me volume control is paramount) and amp (Atom amp, Schiit Heresy, Geshelli Archel2 Pro, Topping L30 when it releases etc.) and you`re good to go.
The DX3 Pro V2 (V1 tested here has been replaced!) is probably no a great option due to the fairly high output impedance. There are a couple other products like that one, but off the top of my head I can't think of one that would be a better (or even equal) alternative to the separate devices.
But of course you could try to repair (or have it repaired) your current Xduoo first.
Good call on the dx3. I'm going to edit it from my post.

OP
C

chechu21

Okay. Thank you all for the answers. I think I will look at the heresey or the future topping l30. By the way, what cable did I need to connect it to the Xduoo? Thank you!

OP
C

chechu21

What opinion do you have about the Monolith Liquid Spark?

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What opinion do you have about the Monolith Liquid Spark?

Its written too large. Decent amp though. What cans are you using with it?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Akg K712 Pro

Its $100. There are other well measuring $100 amps (JDS Atom, Schiit Magni /Heresy etc etc)- I reckon get the one you can get hold of easiest and cheapest and/ or you prefer the looks of and enjoy.

OP
C

chechu21

Its $100. There are other well measuring $100 amps (JDS Atom, Schiit Magni /Heresy etc etc)- I reckon get the one you can get hold of easiest and cheapest and/ or you prefer the looks of and enjoy.
Yeah, but this is the problem. In Europe are very Hard to find these amps.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, but this is the problem. In Europe are very Hard to find these amps.

Yeah Im UK. Monoprice UK site doesnt have much. JDS goes from $100 to £150 . Schiit.co.uk isnt too bad for UK but if you're continental Europe, might struggle

I got my Atom from Ebay, £70. Good condition, good seller but of course minimal protection for the buyer if subsequent fault. Although I doubt any of them should go wrong under normal use.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom