• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC/Am Options for Senheiser HD600

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

3125b

Major Contributor
The DX3 Pro+ has enough power to damage the HD 600, why would you want more?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The DX3 Pro+ has enough power to damage the HD 600, why would you want more?
I agree.
The OP wants to future proof his purchase in case of more headphone purchase(s). Hence the balanced output. If me I would go DX3Pro+ and if I upgrade to expensive headphones later then address the balanced or not balanced stuff. Later is when improved models come out and so he can make a up to date purchase then and in the meanwhile save some money buying the DX3Pro+

Wicky

I have a DX30 Pro and I don't think it has more power on XLR either.
<edit> my mistake, did mean the original DX3pro?

here's the output ratings of the two from topping:
1638202414605.png

Attachments

• 1638202060877.png
    1638202060877.png
    392.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

JoeBrooklyn

Schitt Magnius + Modius. Balanced. Better performing than Jotuheim, a bit less expensive than the DX 7 Pro.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Schitt Magnius + Modius. Balanced. Better performing than Jotuheim, a bit less expensive than the DX 7 Pro.
Unbalanced output distortion performance on the Magnius is a bit eh though. That was a design compromise of this model. The Topping approach makes more sense to me. As long as there is plenty of output at negligible distortion, the cans won't care one iota whether it's a "real" BTL output or a SE job hiding behind the output jack. The really important part is in the headphone cable.

Unfortunately the UK Versions of Magni Heresy and Atom Amp (as well as Modi 3+ and Atom DAC) all seem to be out of stock right now, so one of the Topping options it is. I'll also mention the option of using e.g. an L30 as an "afterburner" for a decent audio interface headphone out (quite a few candidates there), giving you recording and XLR microphone options as well.

OP
N

nycarrival

Take this out of the list. No balanced headphone output for later expansion.

Take this out, no balanced output too.
I would like to ask something. What is a balanced headphone output and why do I need it? Is it needed for all types of headphones or my HD600 pair? I am wondering whether I perhaps made a mistake when I got the HD600. Also, there was a post that I do not really need a DAC/AMP with the HD600.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What is a balanced headphone output and why do I need it?
It is another way of amplifying the signal going to the headphones and for wiring the headphones. You don't need it but if you are going to upgrade the headphones later then it might be nice to have a balanced output so you have more choices when choosing headphones. You don't have to get the balanced output. In fact the DX3Pro+ would be a great choice for a amp/DAC/bluetooth with remote control unit.

Is it needed for all types of headphones or my HD600 pair?
It is not needed for all types of headphones and your HD600 are not a balanced configuration. They are wired for a single ended amp type.

I am wondering whether I perhaps made a mistake when I got the HD600.
The HD600 is a nice set of headphones. Why would you think they are a mistake?

Also, there was a post that I do not really need a DAC/AMP with the HD600.
The commenter I think was saying that the HD600 is not a difficult load and they can be run from most any headphone amp.

123.png

1234.png

3125b

Major Contributor
I am wondering whether I perhaps made a mistake when I got the HD600
You didn't. There's a reason it has been one of the most popular HiFi headphones for over 20 years, mine was made in the late 90s and still works very well. Despite having more expensive and technically superior headphones the HD 600 is my daily driver. It's ergonomic and very well tuned, I run it with only a +3dB low-shelf.

The commenter I think was saying that the HD600 is not a difficult load and they can be run from most any headphone amp.
That I was. The HD 600 works fine with the european Apple dongle (500mV output), normal listening level with that is at 45% volume setting in Windows (well, normal for me, YMMV). Any source able to provide at least 500mV will be ok, 1V would be plenty.
By easy to drive I also meant that the high impedance means that the HD 600 draws little current and high output impedances don't cost too much effective power (voltage divider).

OP
N

nycarrival

You didn't. There's a reason it has been one of the most popular HiFi headphones for over 20 years, mine was made in the late 90s and still works very well. Despite having more expensive and technically superior headphones the HD 600 is my daily driver. It's ergonomic and very well tuned, I run it with only a +3dB low-shelf.

That I was. The HD 600 works fine with the european Apple dongle (500mV output), normal listening level with that is at 45% volume setting in Windows (well, normal for me, YMMV). Any source able to provide at least 500mV will be ok, 1V would be plenty.
By easy to drive I also meant that the high impedance means that the HD 600 draws little current and high output impedances don't cost too much effective power (voltage divider).

OP
N

nycarrival

Thanks!

I will then ask a silly question - will I then need a DAC for my HD600 or I can just hook them up to the MacBook Pro?

JoeBrooklyn

You can plug the HD 600 directly into your laptop and use the DAC built into the mac. You do not need an external DAC or headphone amplifier.

However, you will get better sound and get the most out of your HD 600’s using one of the DAC + Headphone amps recommended on the site at almost any price point

Top Bottom