• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC/Am Options for Senheiser HD600

nycarrival

Hello all,

I am planning to get a pair of HD600 and I am shopping for an AMP/DAC. Thinking about these

Topping DX7 Pro (because of the bluetooth and good reviews)
Jotunheim 1 with multibit
Magni/Modi Stack
iFi iDSD Black Label

Is it worth going to the Topping DX7 Pro or the iFi for this pair or I can with a Magni/Modi or Jotunheim 1 with multibit? Or I should rather get something more powerful if I am to change my headphones down the line?

Thanks!

OP
N

nycarrival

Take this out of the list. No balanced headphone output for later expansion.

Take this out, no balanced output too.
Thanks! How about the Topping DX7 Pro or the Jotunheim 1 with multibit? I can also get Jotunheim 1 with 4490 DAC and the price difference between these two (the Topping and the Schiit) is substantial (Topping quite more expensive). Or ... any other suggestions?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Jotunheim has more balanced power output but the DAC leaves something to be desired and the DX7Pro tests better in most every test other than power output.

What is your preferred price range?

Wicky

Just wondering if you considered any other of the (numerous) Topping offerings? At the lower price end the DX3 Pro+ while not balanced has plenty of power (250mw @300ohm for the HD600's), or E50/L50, or going slightly above the DX7's budget, the A30/D30 stack?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahha. The availability of product must be taken into consideration because some product is not available in Europe or there is no service support. We need a Euro peep that is familiar with the market there to help out. No sense selecting a amp and DAC and then no availability or you have to order from the USA and have no after sales support in Europe.

In the meanwhile the Topping L50 is a great amp.
The matching DAC E50 is very good too.

That should come close to 500 Euro I think. It's the best combination for the money right now.

Wicky

Ahha. The availability of product must be taken into consideration because some product is not available in Europe or there is no service support. We need a Euro peep that is familiar with the market there to help out. No sense selecting a amp and DAC and then no availability or you have to order from the USA and have no after sales support in Europe.

In the meanwhile the Topping L50 is a great amp.
The matching DAC E50 is very good too.

That should come close to 500 Euro I think. It's the best combination for the money right now.
Yup :)
Look's like there are on sale here for £317.37: https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/topping-e50-dac-l30-headphone-amplifier-rca-cable-combo

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The L50 & E50 is a great combO and adding a PEQ to your PC source will make a huge difference in sound quality for any headphones that you use. There is PEQ software available for Windows, MacOS and Linux PCs. If you can tell me what OS you are using than I can suggest some software for PEQ use.

OP
N

nycarrival

I thought I could stream from my phone and I could take the DAC/AMP anywehere in my house and I was thinking of having only one device. I am primarily ising my work MacBook Pro otherwise. DX3 Pro appears to be compelling as it is much cheaper than the DX7 Pro. Will I make a huge compromise if I do not take the DX7 Pro?

OP
N

nycarrival

So, verdict is "Get yourself a DX7 Pro and you should be good for your HD600"?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's between the DX7 Pro and the DX3 Pro+ I think.

3125b

Major Contributor
The high impedance, high sensitivity HD 600 works fine on almost any source, you don't have to get anything special just to drive it.
I use mine mainly with my ADI-2 and iPad, but it works fine on my smartphone and PC mainboard output too.

Wicky

The high impedance, high sensitivity HD 600 works fine on almost any source, you don't have to get anything special just to drive it.
I use mine mainly with my ADI-2 and iPad, but it works fine on my smartphone and PC mainboard output too.
@nycarrival It sounds like the DX3 Pro+ will be perfect and save you a few £'s

cinemakinoeye

The Jotunheim has more balanced power output but the DAC leaves something to be desired and the DX7Pro tests better in most every test other than power output.

Which DAC are you referring to? I have the Jotunheim 2 with the "True Multibit DAC" card and I find it to be quite competent. I'm sure the sound is not as "warm" and "complex" as the Bifrost 2 (though I don't know this through direct experience) but that's an apple and oranges comparison. Give the "True Multibit DAC" card is a $200 USD upgrade vs. the BiFrost 2 at $699 USD I decided on the "True Multibit DAC" card for now with an eye on the possibility of a better DAC in the future if it becomes an issue, however, for now, I'm quite pleased with the combination of DAC, preamplifier and headphone amplifier all in a single box connected to my Mac via USB and used with either balanced headphones or powered monitors via the balanced outputs. A factor that was important to me was the aesthetics of the object as well as sound quality and functionality. The minimalist look of the Jotunheim 2 and availability in Silver was a plus.

Top Bottom