• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC advise needed

dcaffeine8d

I currently am using a fx-dac X6 with an upgraded op-amp (burson v5i-D) through massdrop. I use it as a headphone amp to drive my hifiman he4xx and a beyerdynamic dt770 250 ohm. Recently, I found the urge to setup a 2.0 system using my current speakers (pioneer fs-52) and old JBL CF-150 I picked up at a garage sale. So I bought a class D amp xtz edge a2-300. I use my dac fx-6 in passthrough dac mode via RCA with USB as input to my MacBook Pro for Tidal and other streaming services. My goal is to get a DAC that has support for bluetooth and good pre-amp section to replace my fx-dac X6. With all the tests done here and ranking for the SINAD rating, do I use that to narrow down my options? I see also that most DACs use Sabre vs. AK vs. Cirrus Logic (on X6). Currently, I'm happy with the pairing of the X6 with XTZ. Not sure if the Burson is helping improve the X6 for the output section. Anyway, I want to replace the X6 for another DAC to pair with my setup as I'm going to use the X6 for my headphone only. I'm willing to spend up to 300 CAD. Some have recommended to pair it with a tube preamp which is again another spend. I just want to get good value and enjoy listening to music and not get hang up with specs.

zepplock

Anything Topping should work fine. Bluetooth is not lossless in most cases so be careful with it. Any other type of connection should be better.

OP
D

dcaffeine8d

I'm now torn between topping dx3 pro vs. E30 vs. Schiit Modi 3. Based on Sinad, I should go with E30! Is this the correct decision? I'm a bit leaning towards dx3 pro as I will get a headphone amp output for my dt770 250 ohm. There's also 2 * ak4493 vs 1 on e30. Does this improve the sound having to dacs?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm now torn between topping dx3 pro vs. E30 vs. Schiit Modi 3. Based on Sinad, I should go with E30! Is this the correct decision? I'm a bit leaning towards dx3 pro as I will get a headphone amp output for my dt770 250 ohm. There's also 2 * ak4493 vs 1 on e30. Does this improve the sound having to dacs?
Found this similar thread. :) Same dilemma. https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-e30-or-dx3pro-as-dac-for-789.13634/

I guess it boils down to the headphone out.

Right. Choose between the DX3 Pro or the E30 coupled with a Schiit Heresy or JDS Labs Atom. The E30 setup will measure more accurate. But due to the limits of human hearing, you would likely hear little or no difference between that and the DX3 Pro.

OP
D

dcaffeine8d

Right. Choose between the DX3 Pro or the E30 coupled with a Schiit Heresy or JDS Labs Atom. The E30 setup will measure more accurate. But due to the limits of human hearing, you would likely hear little or no difference between that and the DX3 Pro.
I'm going to pair it with my xtz edge a2-300 power amp as a pre-amp for volume control. Seems like a sensible choice for the dx3 pro as I can use it also as a headphone amp and if I upgrade to a better DAC, I can relegate it as just a headphone amp.

Top Bottom