• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAB kitchen radio

sweetsounds

While I am usually pursuing the high end for music listening, I am now facing a mundane challenge: a kitchen radio with digital audio broadcast (DAB+). It has to work without internet as well.

Priorities:
- Sound quality: good linear response, good bass extension, mono or stereo doesn't matter.
- Good reception: DAB reception is usually worse than FM, it needs to work far from a window
- usage as a radio, i.e. having a dial to change station

Would be great, if it can run on batteries as well, so that you can carry it around easily.

Turns out, that you can find tons of tests on high-end stereo, but no data at all on radios.
I found 4 with positive statements:
- Roberts Stream 94i
- Tivoli One Digital
- Geneva Acustica Lounge
- Pure Evoke Play

Experiences welcome.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Check out the Sangean range as well as other Pure models. Most use the same dab chipset so reception likely to be similar for most.

ciccio1378

I strongly advise against Tivoli. Slow management software. Poor DAB sensitivity. It often loses its configuration and needs to be setup again. Radios to avoid!

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I strongly advise against Tivoli. Slow management software. Poor DAB sensitivity. It often loses its configuration and needs to be setup again. Radios to avoid!
Yeah I have a Tivoli model one digital. It won't even take the clock from the DAB ensemble! You have to connect the app to set the time from your phone. Sometimes stops appearing as an endpoint to Spotify too. Text doesn't scroll either so that is annoying when trying to work out what that last song was.

Top Bottom