• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

D90 mqa vs M400, which one should I use?

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm thinking about picking up a d90 mqa even though I have a m400. The rca on the m400 is a little messed up but I will only be using the xlr anyway. Comments and opinions please.

SECA_alan

I can't help with your decision, but I've had the M-400 for several months now. It has been flawless in operation with zero glitches, the form factor and ergonomics are really nice (plastic knob but I use remote anyway). I like the tempered glass top, the whole thing has a quality feel.

Subjectively it sounds wonderful, quite different to the ESS based M-500 I had previously. Much more detail, expansive kind of sound with an effortless presentation that reminds me of a big, low noise class A amplifier, especially in the bass and lower mid-range. This may all be nonsense as it's my perception, but (almost all of) the measurements are reassuringly exemplary.

I have only used RCA outputs so far, I'm aware if the roll of and to be honest it's no problem. Perhaps a small loss of 'air' in the presentation. I will perform the fix that SMSL propose later on, as I feel the DAC is well worth sticking with. I may also use XLR outputs later on.

win

Does the mqa d90 perform worse than the regular d90 or you don't believe it's worth the extra money?

I have a d90 sans mqa. I don't use tidal and even if I did mqa is not a format I want to support, and you're giving mqa cash if you buy it.

the d90 oozes quality and is very sleek looking

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking about picking up a d90 mqa even though I have a m400. The rca on the m400 is a little messed up but I will only be using the xlr anyway. Comments and opinions please.

I would have thought there would be no practical benefits for going m400 mqa to D90 mqa. Unless you have noticed issues

Veri

Master Contributor
If you are using XLR, there are no known issues that I know of. M400 is top of the line AK4499-based and supports MQA. I don't see the need to buy something else if you own it, already. In fact I'd love to own an M400 haha :) just, enjoy.

Charles0322

Forget MQA. Is a lossy (and very bad) format.
“Very bad” what does that even mean?
Sounds ridiculous to attack a codec as very bad when some of the best manufacturers and artists have signed on.. reading this as someone who has been testing for over a year.. for 99% of anyone who streams can benefit from mqa. Keyboard warriors who attack MQA when, as I said, some of the top players in the game are actively using paying and enjoying it.. very bad sounds like you are 5 years old lmao

Charles0322

When every device under the sun supports flac I really don't see any point in MQA. Just seems like a way to charge more for no benifits.
Have done tests of 24/192 flac vs mqa. It does depend on the recording. I can’t figure out if it is because some producers know how to present mqa better within the mastering chain or if certain types of music or recordings translate better on mqa vs hi-res flac. It’s been a year trying to find mqa and hi-res of the same issue and release. When I go to dsd it seems the soundstage becomes better but not enough dsd, 24/192 and mqa of the same material.

win

This attitude is ridiculous

don't need yet another standard that doesn't add any value except for gimmicks, and requires hardware licensing fees in perpetuity to the manufacturers, driving prices up because people see a higher tier of streaming available on tidal and want to fool themselves.

who's the ridiculous one?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
don't need yet another standard that doesn't add any value except for gimmicks, and requires hardware licensing fees in perpetuity to the manufacturers, driving prices up because people see a higher tier of streaming available on tidal and want to fool themselves.

But, you get the blue light...

Veri

Master Contributor
I just noticed your avatar.. screws loose
MQA is lossy though. Not to mention it is very obviously a DRM scheme to get people to pay to be able to decode it. Not even starting to argue whether it can improve anything, the encoding of MQA and DRM notion of it are more than enough for a lot of people to not care about, or oppose it. No need to resort to personal attacks if you do like it, everyone can have their views and opinions, yes?

I personally dislike MQA encoding since it makes EQ'ing hell, your DAC needs the untouched data to unfold. I almost always have EQ or DSP on ...

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor

Dude they've been making audio and video codecs for years look it up,now if MQA survive it survive if it don't it don't,there is always gonna be something new,who's the ridiculous one now.

Top Bottom