• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

D30/Atom vs FiioQ1M2... The Fiio sounding better?!

aoaaron

Hey, so I have a D30/Atom and a FiioQ1M2 connected to my windows PC via USB.

They both sound great but they both also sound VERY different.

I feel like with my Fiio Q1M2 I'm able to determine and separate instruments better. Everything feels way more laidback and the soundstage feels better.

The D30/Atom sound a lot more cramped, louder, and I feel like the music is more centralised and in my face.

I'm using AKG 712s.

I havent installed any drivers for my D30, just plug and played. WOndering if I've done anything wrong as I thought the £200 setup would destroy the £80 setup?

I've plained some orchestral music for example (Kingdom Hearts orchestra mix) and I feel like the soundstage is way broader on my Q1M2, but then all the instruments in the middle are also way way quieter on my Q1M2 and take a backseat to the entire orchestra...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Go with your gut.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really?

But I don't know what is the amp-only equivalent of the FiioQ1M2 as I'd ideally like to keep the atom amp I think..
You could try a topping D10. They don't cost much and have better linearity than a D30. It may or may not sound different.

OP
A

aoaaron

You could try a topping D10. They don't cost much and have better linearity than a D30. It may or may not sound different.

I've just checked them side by wide with my Macbook and it might've mainly just been the sounds get a quieter on the Q1M2...

Going to test this a bit tommorow. Will probably keep them both.

I feel like everything is much more better imaged on the D30. Theres some stuff which seems to go missing with the Q1M2 which makes it feel a lot more relaxed.

God damn this stuff is so hard lol! I've just listened to Bat out of Hell and I can do anything for love.

The D30/Atom just knock it out of the park.I actually have the Q1M2 hooke dup to the atom too but the difference is startling. The image of the Q1M2 is... vague. The imaging is very vague compared to the D30 which seems to tell me exactly where every instrument is. I think the D30 is indeed the better dac.. The Q1M2 seems to give the illusion of a broader sound when in reality its just lazyily not imaged where something should be.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
1, just enjoy music
2, could be the volume difference, i think fiio has lower output level?

invaderzim

Just enjoy the music. There is a whole industry out there wanting you to buy high priced stuff that doesn't sound better.

Those may be the best 22 words about audio ever.

Somehow a lot of people have decided that audio companies are our friends and only have our best interests at heart rather than a bloated industry that has to keep selling to exist.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After buying a couple of "good measured" devices and not liking them, I think, there's more than measurements to this whole audiophilia realm. Pick the device you like. Compare them at the same level. Listen to the things you noticed. Maybe there is no difference. Or maybe the difference is the other way around. Some of my devices sound harsh and fatiguing. If that is the case - don't use it.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just enjoy the music. There is a whole industry out there wanting you to buy high priced stuff that doesn't sound better.

Isn't that the truth!!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the worst psychological tricks our minds play on us is the pitting of an innate desire to fit in, e.g. to share common values, against our brain's processing of audio input into either pleasure or rejection/displeasure. For many people, not having the same reaction to aural stimuli as a group of people they want to identify with - such as subgroups of audiophiles - can cause anxiety, which further colors and warps our sensory perceptions.
Try listening to music in the background - if you are focused on other activities, when the thought "hey, that sounds really good" breaks into your thoughts, stop, listen and ponder why that happened. For me, sometimes an internet radio station playing a favorite song - old or new - on my main system just around the corner in the next room breaks my concentration at the computer, and I pause and listen for a bit.

Be aware that attempts at critical listening by those who are not trained to do it properly with properly set up situations can lead to frustration and very erratic results.

I have owned all types of audio gear and systems over a period of 60 years, maxing out in cost out at about $10K in the early 2000's, just before I stupidly lost my retirement investments in the stock market. Regardless of cost, my tastes and perception of what pleases me has changed often over the years - and not in a linear fashion.

Just go with what gives you the most pleasure, and change whenever you like - when you can afford it. Learn what most affects the actual sonic character of audio systems - speakers and room interaction are by far the most significant. Focus on changing components or the listening environment to reach small goals in listening pleasure. Your ears will fool and mislead you - just be aware of that and factor that in to your playing the game of audiophilia. Do it for fun, and not as a compulsion of competition.

If you want good equipment on a budget, and expect to change your system mix fairly often, buy and sell used, demo, and refurbished audio gear. I did that for years - and still do at age 77 - and it brings me great pleasure, which is my ultimate goal.

Lots of good advice above - listen to those guys.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
I have both and the Fiio only sounds different when it can't fully drive a pair of headphones of mine (modded Fostex T20RP).

It's very hard to accurately A/B on your own. The goal of good enough equipment is that it won't have its own sound at all. Both of your setups should be good enough, but it depends on what you are driving.

Two reasons they might sound different: power output and output impedance. I think single-ended the FIIO is around 10 ohms, not sure about in balanced. Your 712s are 62 Ohms and also fairly sensitive so not particularly hard to drive. I wouldn't think you'd be able to tell the difference if volume matched.

Are you sure you don't have bass boost switch on when using the FIIO?

UWinWithWin

I don’t know if anyone has talked about this before, but if a DAC is doing it’s job, you can’t tell the difference between two different DAC as long as the volume is matched. I remember reading a study about this (I can’t currently find it). But basically they took two dac and had one amp and corrected for volume. And listeners couldn’t tell the difference. People generally have a tendency to prefer the louder of two sources. YMMV.

My opinion is, the biggest difference in sound will come from changing headphones/speakers. If your dac and amp are properly performing they should be transparent and shouldn’t impact the “character” of the sound. The job of an amp is to take a signal and make it louder.

I personally have a bunch of fun buying all sorts of gear. And hearing how it changes when I try different gear. For me, the amount of money I spend on a piece of equipment directly relates to how much I enjoy it. I think most people feel this way. That’s why you get so many stellar reviews for equipment that’s a billion dollars etc etc etc.

Just my 2cent

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t know if anyone has talked about this before, but if a DAC is doing it’s job, you can’t tell the difference between two different DAC as long as the volume is matched. I remember reading a study about this (I can’t currently find it). But basically they took two dac and had one amp and corrected for volume. And listeners couldn’t tell the difference.

This?
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...blind-test-audible-difference-whatsoever.html

UWinWithWin

That’s one of them. I remember reading one not on a forum.(it was an article) I wish I bookmarked it. But it was a while ago. I believe that there are measurable differences in DAC. But I think audible differences are a whole different story. But, it’s all about what you enjoy. I think doing an A/B test when you know the source, you’ll pick one you like more. Maybe it’s cooler looking maybe it’s louder. Maybe it’s new and fun. Maybe it measure worse.
Everyone and their mother loves the chord mojo. And there are much better sources/amps out there. But it’s cool looking and does a fine job. I get enjoyment out of getting the best “bang for my buck” so I think the topping nx4dsd is better than the mojo... because reasons lol.

Some of the better advice I’ve gotten is to find a headphone or speaker I like and then try and squeeze every drop out of it with getting the cleanest gear. Or maybe getting gear that distorts in the area where I want it to be distorted.

If you like the sound of it, that’s good enough for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom